finally did it with only 1 loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ostrichkiller

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i finally moved my fish tank anyway and everything fell right into place. took only about 7 hours total from start to finish to move 30+ fish and my 55gal then rebuild. i also let go of my UGF and replaced it with some sand under the gravel for future plants and i went out and got a emperor 330 that at the reccomendation of this site was running for abvout 10 days in the tank before the move to help control the change over. only lost one fish which i didn't think was too bad over all. had some black tip, flaming, and neon tetra and only lost 1 flaming tetra who i assume was ill since he was the only one to go. when i got the bucket with fish to the new house the water (if anyone lives arounf the buffalo ny area understands) the water went from around 72 in my tank normally to 52 in the bucket from the lack of a heater while we drove(-10 the night we did it) but i hooked it up in there as soon as we got to the house.

now i have some new questions:

if i drop a small peice of shrimp into the tank my lobster (i know it is a crawfish but it sounds cooler this way) loves to eat them. would i have a problem buying some cleaner shrimp to put in there to keep things tiddy, or would he eat them too.

also i am looking on growing some java ferna and some java moss in the tank also and was wondering if they would grow. i am presently at .55 watts per gallon and was wondering if i would havwe to change and get higher lighting for it to grow stuff in there. and what about CO2 necessary with just those??? probably depends on how much i want in there which i have not decided yet but i could always start small and work up right.

thanks for everyones help with all the move questions and other answers about all my various problems

It sounds like you had quite an ordeal. Congrats on the move. About the cool lobster, I think he would eat anything he could catch, including the fish.

Regarding the plants, read the sticky thread in the planted tank section here. It's quite informative. Good Luck.

I've had the same problem putting shrimp in my tank, but my fishies love it... now I thaw the shrimp and cut it into tiny pieces, then drop a few in at a time. The fish gather when they know it's coming, and everybody gets some. My Oscar will actually come up and eat larger pieces off the tip of a fork or knive... he's a little nutty though :-D

I agree that the little shrimp would probably get caught by the lobster. Of course if you can get ahold of ghost or glass shrimp they are generally cheap and might be worth a test. Dump in quite a few. At the very least the lobster will get a tastey treat.

Back
Top Bottom