Finally found a way to get rid of tiny pest snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oto

Aquarium Advice Activist
:dance: I finally found a slightly faster way to pick out those tiny pest snails than with my fingers. A new toothbrush works pretty well because the snails get stuck between the bristles and are easy to get out. Also, an algae sponge works nicely too.

How do you guys get rid of tiny snails?

I have problably a thousand in my 27g Hexagon, I don't even try.. It sucks too because im tearing the hex down soon... and I want to transplant the AWSOME plants I grew in that tank to my new 92g tank.. but I don't want my 92g tank to have friggin trumpet snails..

Im not sure what to do with those plants : /

Try getting all the snails off in a separate container, Or get a few loaches, lol.

I'd say get some loaches candyman but your 92 is for discus right,they wouldn't cope with the water temp. Maybe some assassin snails....

a few methods
1. feed less
2.place veggie slice in tank collect next morning
3. assassin snails, loaches, dwarf puffers.

i actually enjoy all my pond snails and ramshorns, they're apart of the food chain and ecosystems your fish would see in their natural environment so i don't have an issue with them, i guess mine aren't at plague proportions. my rams and tetras I've noticed eating egg sacs.

Assassin snails took care of my snail problem i still got some pond snails but i see more of the 10 assassin anails i bought than the pond snail.

I'd say get some loaches candyman but your 92 is for discus right,they wouldn't cope with the water temp. Maybe some assassin snails....

a few methods
1. feed less
2.place veggie slice in tank collect next morning
3. assassin snails, loaches, dwarf puffers.

i actually enjoy all my pond snails and ramshorns, they're apart of the food chain and ecosystems your fish would see in their natural environment so i don't have an issue with them, i guess mine aren't at plague proportions. my rams and tetras I've noticed eating egg sacs.

My plants do fine in higher temps actually. my 27g hex is at 82f constantly, and my discus tank is only 2-3f higher. I have had success with plants in the discus tank before.

I want to transplant these plants, Limnophila hippuroides.. The stem plants on the right, and my amazon sword in the back and maybe the Ludwigia, the main ones I wanna move are the first two I mentioned though, Im more worried about eggs being transplanted then the snail itself.. So im wondering if I should do a bleach/water mixture and soak them ? How do you move plants without getting the eggs in your tank ?

img_3202912_0_d5e601610a7fb38b4710cfd71915f95c.jpg

My plants do fine in higher temps actually. my 27g hex is at 82f constantly, and my discus tank is only 2-3f higher. I have had success with plants in the discus tank before.

I want to transplant these plants, Limnophila hippuroides.. The stem plants on the right, and my amazon sword in the back and maybe the Ludwigia, the main ones I wanna move are the first two I mentioned though, Im more worried about eggs being transplanted then the snail itself.. So im wondering if I should do a bleach/water mixture and soak them ? How do you move plants without getting the eggs in your tank ?

img_3202950_0_d5e601610a7fb38b4710cfd71915f95c.jpg

I individually pull them off, go through each stem, sight the egg sacs in the tank and pull them accordingly.

I individually pull them off, go through each stem, sight the egg sacs in the tank and pull them accordingly.

Good idea for patient people, but for me - not so much. I did this with my plants in the 10 gallon, and I must have missed an egg sack, because my tank was overrun in a month.

Best method-feed your fish every second or third day for a month and then try to eradicate. I just kept forgetting to feed daily and my snails almost went extinct.

I don't.I have pond snails practically the size of marbles. For some reason all of my MTS died so I'm stuck with these guys until I change substrate.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably not a great idea, but i used a product called "Had A Snail" it contained a lethal amount of copper, that kills any inverts, but if you have discus with the snails it may be bad for the discus. But it definitely kills all the snails

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had great success with assassin snails.. In my 10g there was around 100 pond snails and increasing like crazy. I added two assassin snails about a month ago and the only pond snails left are in the filter, and a lot of empty shells across the substrate.
I'd suggest adding 10 assassins, within a couple weeks when you vacuum you'll end up seeing the empty shells floating up in the siphon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Heard that putting a lettuce leaf or other in the tank with light off for few hours an then remove. The snails will have attached to it an can remove. Repeat til non left

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could make a snail trap. Old Tupperware container with some holes in it and a piece of cucumber. Snails go in to eat, and in the morning you can easily pull the container out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom