Finally got fish today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrono1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I finally got fish today, my tank has been cycled and everything working fine for about a week (fishless cycle) so today I grabbed some fish.

Its an 8 gallon tank, there are three fancy tailed guppies (I think), and three ghost shrimp.

From my research it looks like I am not overpopulated (please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I was wondering if there is any kind of "scum sucker" fish I could get for such a small tank (that won't suck up my ghost shrimp, one of them is just a baby).

Oh, and I am open to having a snail if thats a better solution. From what I read nerite snails won't breed in freshwater.

Yes you are correct. A nerite snail would do alrite in a 8 gal. They are one of the better snails for algae cleaning.
3 guppies and 3 ghost shrimp are doable in an 8gal. With proper filtration. Guppies have a huge bioload so weekly pwc's should be done.

Thanks! I'll be sure to monitor everything and do water changes weekly.

I am a bit concerned though, I acclimated the fish, and just now added them into the tank (and used stress coat) but now they're acting strange, swimming all over the place and very close to the waters surface.

They were eating but I'm afraid of losing my fish again like I did almost two months ago :(

I just noticed Chiclid Kid you are really close to me (I live in Altoona). Is there any fish stores you know of locally?

Back
Top Bottom