Finally got my GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a mating pair, one boy and one girl from Petco :) They are in a 26 gallon with tank mates. Hopefully they do good.

I just wanted some advice of them breeding? I heard they needed flat stones so I got those. Anything else? I know they need low ph and warm waters.

I tried to take a few pics but they are being shy so they aren't the greatest

image-4158810209.jpg

image-4033378416.jpg

Congrats! I believe 6.8ph and 80F is what's recommended for them breeding. I had either my angels or my rams spawn but the eggs were eaten before I could find out which the were. They laid their eggs on a bent betta leaf(one of those suction cup decorations for betta tanks) but I don't know what my ph was at. Rams may spawn on flat rocks, broad leaves, or may even create a crater to spawn in, you can add rocks or leaves but your rams will chose what they like best. When they do spawn watch for increased aggression towards tank mates in their "territory", some can be a little brutal. When they prepare to mate you may see some of what looks like bullying between the male and female(from both sides) but don't freak, they'd generally what they do. YouTube search for GBR courtship to see what I'm talking about, there are several good videos. Good luck and enjoy! They're awesome fish

Thank you so much! And is it possible to breed electric blue rams as German blue rams? Or would it not work out

Thank you so much! And is it possible to breed electric blue rams as German blue rams? Or would it not work out

Rams of different color morphs can interbreed, just like how all the different color morphs of angelfish can interbreed. If you breed an EBR with a GBR I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the fry would be most like the GBR, some that have added blue color, and few that actually look like EBR, since the EBRs traits are mostly recessive

So my petstore said they gave me 1 male and 1 female, and the female isn't as colorful as the male and she has a pink belly, but the male has blue spots around their black spot (don't think their supposed to) but doesn't have a pink belly.

The male does chase the female sometimes, but I'm just not quite sure if he's a male.

So my petstore said they gave me 1 male and 1 female, and the female isn't as colorful as the male and she has a pink belly, but the male has blue spots around their black spot (don't think their supposed to) but doesn't have a pink belly.

The male does chase the female sometimes, but I'm just not quite sure if he's a male.

Give it a little while for them to show their true colors, they fade out a lot when they're stressed. The female will have very visible blue specks in the black dot, the male will have a very solid black spot but may have specks around the dot. From what you're saying worst case scenario you have two females, meaning no big deal you can just add a male later. It's when you have two males or two males and one female when most issues occur

So I wouldn't be able to put a male GBR and a male EBR in the same tank?

Here's a pic of who I think is the boy

Does he look like he boy?

image-2014344122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom