Finally no more fish deaths...whoo hoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my aquarium in late May. I made a bunch of common newbie mistakes, most because of bad advice from fish store people. But now I am happy to say, my aquarium is stocked and cycled and I have had no fish deaths for the past month and a half. I'm hoping that now, with weekly water changes (20%) and a monthly scrubbing of the filter and change of elements, my tank will be just fine!
I have a 29 gallon with
3 mollies (1 black male lyretail, two silver females)
2 platys (1 orange male, one pale yellow female)
4 lemon tetras
3 neon tetras
3 black tetras
and a chinese algae eater.

I also have a five and a half-gallon with a male betta.

I know I will have to get rid of the algae eater. I have some question about algae eaters, but I will put that in another thread.

My tank is planted with java moss, and man, that stuff is just taking over! I just did a water change yesterday, and I had to pull out a big handful of the moss. I want the cover though, so that maybe my mollies and platys will have babies and they can avoid being eaten.

Is there anything else I need to know in the maintanence of my tank? I am going to the pet store tomorrow to get a test kit. I feel it would be useful, even at this late stage, and maybe I will start another tank, I would love to. Any other advice?

Test kits are always good no matter how old you tank is. I test the ammonia levels and such in my tanks every month. Better safe than sorry.

Java Moss is pretty darn hard to kill. Good thing is a lot of people are looking for it so if you have too much, just give it away! People will gladly accept it or trade for some.

java moss and fern are better for the tank than most plant too arent they? like they give something back?

Back
Top Bottom