Finally Starting Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I add Excel too about half a capful every day.I think the CO2 levels are good because I get a new leaf(or stem) of E.osiris,A.crispus,and the Cabomba.The H.callitrodes are also filling in faster than I expected,since some people say it is a slow grower.I'll test tomorrow since I just did very large water change and I want things to settly down a bit.I'll also get some Floruish,Flourish Iron,and Flourish Potassium tomorrow.

pH:6.4
Ammonia:2.0 ppm
Nitrite:5.0 ppm
Nitrate:10 ppm

This test was tooken after two days of consecutive water changes.After the test I added 3 mL or Flourish Iron,Flourish,Flourish Excel,Fand Flourish Potassium.I hope to see the rusults soon.

Okayb the results of adding 3 mL of flourish,flourish iron,flourish excel and a capful of flourish potassium the sword turned back into its original state and I am still getting new leaves every now and then.I tried propagating some of the tonina sp. and some other plant,I am supposed to take the clipping from the top then pick off all the leaves from the bottom then plant it,right?After I did a very large water change,maybe 70% because the water got really really cloudy.So I'll test the day after tomorrow and see the results.

You've got it right for Toninas. You do not need to get more than the very bottom leaves of the cut top, and your substrate should grab it great. Which Tonina sp? If it is the stuff that might be Tonina from AF we chatted about, it is already side shooting for me after leaving it alone, fwiw. Not yet growing much taller, though, but its only been a week for me. Will post back later on what happens to my cut stems, if you want. Interested in what happens to yours if you leave them in.

I forgot the name out of excitment of coming home and fixing up the tank.I am not sure but I think it is Tonina belem or something like that because the leaves are pretty similar.Another reason I forgot the name because to my it looked like Cyperus helferi for some reason I just kept repeating that in my head :D .I hope the stems will grow out because I only bought 2 and I need more to fill in some gaps.Oh I wish I had my laptop so I could load some pics.:p

Ooooh. When I visited, the only Tonina sp. 'Belem' left were 2 stems in that sweet display tank. I asked what it would take to have them, and he smiled, and I let that dream die ;) Why did you have to take my T. 'Belem' and HC away? Why????
Oh I wish I had my laptop so I could load some pics.
Me too :) Look forward to it.

When I went there there were 5 grids of HC and I got one so that leaves four.They were many stems of Tonina sp. 'Belem'.I can send you some more if I can propagate them successfully along with a chunk of HC(since I plan on dedicating my 5 gallon to breeding Shrimp and growing more HC for people).But my only concern is its shipping suvival rate,since I don't have lots of money being a Middle School Student I might only be able to send it through priority or express depending on where they live.

If you grow enough to share, I am definitely up for trading for it, but I was mostly joking :) HC seems perfect for a shrimp breeding tank. Once you get trading you will probably have your choice of plants for it, based on the demand here and elsewhere. Good luck!

I bought a few more plants this afternoon.I was hoping to get some Anacharis to help absorb nutrients but they didn't have any left so I bought a nice red plant called "Red Nesea" and some Bacopa sp.I thought they looked nice but I still couldn't find some info on the bacopa.I'll have to water change again since the water became cloudy again,ehy does this keep happening to me?

*yay* my propagation is going good so far.The Tonina that I have cut some stems and planted are getting a small root mass and the other plant I propagated do seem to have any sign of damage or dying.The water parameters are pH:6.8(my diffuser went hay-wire again so I have to search for a new one)Ammonia:0 ppm(yay!)Nitrite:.25 ppm(going good)Nitrate:5 ppm(shooting for ten ppm).Is it safe to add some SAEs now?

Wait until your Ammonia and Nitrite have both been at 0 for at least a couple of days before adding more fish.

Congrats on the success with the plant propegation!

arrg never mind,some of the tops of plants I cut off just started to die today but the Tonina sp. seems to be doing good.I did another large water change and added some SAEs,I should have checked your reply first.Because I went to the LFS straight after school,sorry.

Back
Top Bottom