Finding khullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok I got 3 khulli loaches. I bought them thursday. I found one dead, skinned, and cleaned carcas when I got back from being gone for the weekend...thing looked like a catfish filet...(I also lost my gold nugget pleco that was new as well)

I have seen another khulli alive and well...and already have a noticable decrease in snails in the tank. Is there any way to tell wether I have 1 or 2 still alive? I do plan on getting at least one more to keep at least 3 in the tank.

thanks

That is weird, I wonder what killed you Khulli loach...

I currently have 9 of them all fully grown, fat and well.

They are excellent for keeping down the population of snails and I really reccomend them to anyone with a snail problem.

To answer your question, it is hard to tell how many Khulli's you have lest and depending on your substrate and the size of them it could be darn impossible for you to find out without moving most things from your tank.

I think the best thing to do would be to feed the fish at night and turn all lights out in the tank and have a dim light in the room and keep a close watch of your fish tank.
If you know where they are hiding it would help too as my khullis have kept to one 'den' all thier life and only come out at night to feed, plus they keep close to thier home always.

My Kuhli loaches also have set up home in a rock structure. I moved it to the front of my tank so that I could see them, otherwise I never saw them.

The one you lost may have not been well when purchased.

I am sur ehte one that died was not due to agression issues in the tank. He justmay not have adapted well to teh low pH highly acidic tank.

i can't keep khulies for more than a week. I've tried now 3 times without any luck. They are especially good at hiding ... so good luck knowing if you have any left or not. I hope yours are just hiding.

that is a beautiful gold nugget in your pic there jibboo

I cant wait till my 29 is fixed again so I can get another one and try again :*(

My kuhliis hide very well. I didn't see them for a couple of months and found them only when I moved the tank. I have two, and they disappeared again after a day or two.

I'm not sure if I read it here or somewhere else, but you can make a "cave" of sorts in front of the tank to see species that usually hide during the day. Just lean a small flat rock against the front glass, then cover the front of your "cave" with black construction paper (on the outside of the glass of course) . If you want to be really safe use a plastic resin rock from your lfs. Anytime you want a peek inside, just move the construction paper.

Another thing I've read about them is that keeping a half dozen or so will make them more active during the day.

i have a friend that had khulis. She had four in a 29 gallon. She is running an UGF as well as an HOB, and found out (while she moved) that her khulis were living (and breeding) under the UGF. She put them back in the tank when she got to where she was going and they dissappeared again. two months later, she saw one the other day for the first time since.

Back
Top Bottom