Fine black gravel (sand)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have changed my old gravel for fine black gravel. It actually says sand on the bag but it doesnt look like sand to me.
My question is: whats the best way to do gravel cleans and lose minimum gravel?
Im going to add more live plants when i get more money together

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426537969630.jpg
    1426537969630.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1426538002145.jpg
    1426538002145.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 150
Lovely tank! If it is sand, and you use a python, swirl it around near the top of the sand to pick up the lose stuff while trying to not pick up the sand itself. Hope that makes sense...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nice tank! From what I've leaned about sand is that the "yuck" stuff stays on the top of the sand.So clean just above the sand and it should all suck up the tube. I've been thinking of switching my gravel to something different. Glad to see yours.(y)

Thanks guys.
i thought there may have been a trick to it as i lose a bit of gravel/sand. Ill just have to keep a bag in my cupboard for when i get low.
My corys dig around and some debris goes deeper so i cant help but lose some.

Maybe it is sand then. Just a thicker grade. Each piece is around 1mm

Your anubias is planted too deep, if the rhizomes aren't above the substrate where they can get light the plant will die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your anubias is planted too deep, if the rhizomes aren't above the substrate where they can get light the plant will die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 to this. You can keep the roots planted. But the rhizome that everything sprouts from needs to be above the substrate.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

+1 to this. You can keep the roots planted. But the rhizome that everything sprouts from needs to be above the substrate.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok thanks. Ill pull it out a bit. Ive had it a few months. Im new to plants. :)

For my sand substrate I couldn't get a siphon to have enough power to lift debris up and out of the tank, even when using the Python with water at full blast. My tank is 28" tall though so it had quite a bit of ways to travel.

I bought Tom's Aquarium vacuum off the recommendation of someone else and I've been really happy with it. It's battery powered and has enough power to suck up debris but not too much power that it takes in all the sand. I'm able to push the teeth of the cleaner into my sand and it'll rotate the sand while lifting out any waste. It's also cheap compared to the Eheim version.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Maintenance-Cleaner-Battery-Operated/dp/B003OYOPNW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

For my sand substrate I couldn't get a siphon to have enough power to lift debris up and out of the tank, even when using the Python with water at full blast. My tank is 28" tall though so it had quite a bit of ways to travel.

I bought Tom's Aquarium vacuum off the recommendation of someone else and I've been really happy with it. It's battery powered and has enough power to suck up debris but not too much power that it takes in all the sand. I'm able to push the teeth of the cleaner into my sand and it'll rotate the sand while lifting out any waste. It's also cheap compared to the Eheim version.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Maintenance-Cleaner-Battery-Operated/dp/B003OYOPNW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also have one of these. I havent tried it yet. I have the marina one but it is the same design.

I also have one of these. I havent tried it yet. I have the marina one but it is the same design.

Try it out and write back with how it does. There are a few things about the Toms one I don't like so if the Marina turns out to be a great purchase I may look into getting that as well.

I used my Marina one for the first time yesterday...
It definitely picks up debris better than the standard gravel cleaners, picked up a fair bit of sand by accident too but I'm sure I will get used to it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pythons are great for filling up tanks but do not generate as much suction as a plain syphon and bucket. I have sand in my tanks and the Lees syphon I have works great at sucking up the detritus. Use a plain syphon to clean up and the Python to drain or add water.

Back
Top Bottom