Fine particles in aquarium; how to remove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
Hi everyone, I've searched on this subject but can't find a definitive answer (if there is one) plus I'm worried that my filters aren't performing as they should (or I'm doing something wrong :nono:) so I thought I'd ask here.

My tank has very fine particles floating in the water, mainly on the top half. I can't tell what they are, just looks like small dust motes, some shine as if they are tiny bubbles, others look like small pieces of driftwood or other debris. How can I clear this up?

I have two filters: an AquaClear 20 and an internal Fluval U2. Tonight with my water change I swished and squeezed all media in old tank water (yuck) which turned the water brown each time. I was hoping that would do the trick; it's better, but the particles are still there. My Aquaclear was throwing a lot of bubbles into the tank at first even with it on the lowest setting and the Fluval and air stone give good surface movement so I put a filter pad over the outtake to reduce the flow. I was hoping this would even catch the finer particles and even though the padding gets mighty dirty and I change it out every month or so (just changed it out tonight too hoping it would help) the particles are still there. A pic is below of what I did with the filter (photo not mine; credit goes to: How to get rid of those tiny bubbles from HOB filters). Although this is exactly what my AquaClear looks like with the filter padding added.

I've also heard good things about poly-fill; do you think it would work or are something wrong with my filter(s)? Also I crochet so I do have a bag of 100% Polyester Fiberfill but not sure if it's safe to use (doesn't say anything about it being flame retardent but I'm still afraid to use it). Would I put it in both filters?

Here are my params:
--Tank is cycled and has been for about 2-3 months. Water isn't milky or cloudy (not a bacterial bloom).
--params are usually 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <5 nitrate before water changes
--I change 50%-60% weekly
--sand substrate but it's settled, no dust from the sand
--I vacuum with each water change

Thanks for the help. :D

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 376
You could try... Pull, rinse and float your filter media and pack your filters with poly-fill. Let it run over night and see of it clears up by morning. I'd put all the filter media back in in the morning even if it didn't work.

Thanks Blert, but from what I've read the poly-fill can be used in the filters with the filter media if replaced reguarly. Maybe I'm misunderstanding? Also where would I put it in the filter, or does it matter (e.g. should the water hit it first, middle, last)? I'm examining the package still and it just says 100% polyester fiberfill, doesn't say it's treated with anything. Not sure if it'll work but I'm ready to try anything at this point.

Well, if you have the room in your filter I'd put it between the mechanical and biological. That way your regular filter pad will catch large bits of funk and then the poly-fill will catch the small bits that get past. Then your bio stuff (rings or such) doesn't get dirty with poo bits and stuff.

Yup, I knew that you could use poly-fill as your regular filter media but, IME, it's messy. Every time I use it I end up with tiny poly-fill strings floating in the tank which I must then fish out before someone eats it. I suppose it would work better in a canister than a HOB.

Back
Top Bottom