Finished tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my 37 gallon tank nearing full stocking level!
So far I have schools of 5 gold barbs, 5 lamp eye tetras, 3 zebra danios(left from cycle, will return to store soon), 4 Julii Cory cats, and 8 neon tetras. So next week I am gonna add 8 rumynose tetras along with saying bye to the danios. The. The next week I'll add an anglefish, and 2 weeks later a pair of German rams. Now something I want to ask is- my neon tetras are very tiny, and I heard that anglefish and the rams will not eat them if they grow up from baby with them? Is it true? I'd also like to add 4 more neons- come on their bioload can't be much and they look amazing because they are bright and stay together, 4 more would be so cool! I also wanna add 5 those shrimp and a zebra nerite snail or few- sound ok?

Are you "an experienced aquarist who can meet the the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium"?

Just at a glance that seemed like a lot of fish for a 37 gallon tank. I have a 45 gallon and thats more fish than I have in mine... and Im slightly overstocked.

I took the liberty of plugging your numbers into AqAdvisor. You didnt mention what kind of filtration you had, so I just picked one. Also, I didnt add the additional 4 neons, shrimp and snail that you mentioned adding. Feel free to factor them in as well.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

No, I am not an experienced aquarist. However, I do the best I can. I gravel vac and do 50% wc every Sunday, care for them, I'm careful in feeding so I don't overload and so everyone gets something.

I know I know, but I mean the neons have a Tiny bioload, and its mostly schools so it isn't like there's a pleco bioload type fish. Would
1 anglefish
10 neons
8 rumynose
5 lamp eye
5 gold barbs
2 gbr
4 Cory's

35 total fish

Too much?

Sounds like too much. Instead of several small schools how about two larger ones?

I already have all the schools excpet rumynose, and those were gonna be the center piece school. Is there anyway this could work?

it CAN be done but I don't really think its the best idea. I was approaching that stocking level in my 29g and was having a heck of a time keeping the nitrates down. I had to do 2 pwcs weekly just to keep everything safe.

The biggest problem I see is with the angelfish. They get big, have a sizable bio load, and can be aggressive as heck. Personally, I would leave out the angel, you have plenty of showy schools of fish to make the tank exciting to look at.

Aside from the biological impact that amount of fish would have I'd recommend also rethinking about the aesthetic/visual impact too. It's going to look extremely busy and you often probably won't be able to see many of the fish behaving naturally. With aquariums it's not just about the fish, instead everything (the tank, decor, fish, etc) needs to work together. When you look at one part of the tank and see a school of fish gliding by you also want to be able to glance at another part and see emptiness -- this adds to what is in there already. Just think of putting pictures up on a wall. Do you cover the whole wall in pictures placed all over the place? Nah, you just need a few appropriately placed ones. One of my favorite things in my 20 gal is watching this particularly quiet and open area near my centerpiece driftwood, as my 9 rummynoses will suddenly break the quietness with a long line of red nose as they turn the corner of the wood and burst into the scene! That is kinda what I'm trying to describe.

But of course this is all just my opinion. Good luck! :)

The shrimp might not be safe. Between the rams and angel, they could get picked off. You could drop the barbs and lamp eyes, then add the rummynose, angel, and rams. I wouldn't do all the fish you want, that's A LOT.

1 angel
2 Germans
10 neons
10 rummynose
6 cories
Snails

Assuming a fish has " a tiny bio load" doesn't mean you can you can put an indefinite number of them in a tank.
It's your tank though. You asked a question and got several answers. It's up to you to do what you think is best,

The shrimp might not be safe. Between the rams and angel, they could get picked off. You could drop the barbs and lamp eyes, then add the rummynose, angel, and rams. I wouldn't do all the fish you want, that's A LOT.

1 angel
2 Germans
10 neons
10 rummynose
6 cories
Snails

Ok, so if I cut one school out could that work?
I'd say I might cut the gold barbs or the lampeye, then add 1 more to get an even number schools
So
1 angel
2 Germans
8 neons
8 rumynose
6 gold barbs or lamp eye
4 Cory's
A nerite snail or two

If tat works, which school do you reccommend cutting out?

Azmodan, very well worded answer.
Charlie, here s my two cents...don t get the Angel. I m currently setting up a 55 g to put my Angels in because they are very aggressive at feeding time & slam into my Platys. A friend that used to work in a pet store & is now a veterinarian warned me about this, they are from the cichlid family & cichlids are bad a@" generally. But, I didn t listen & several hundred dollars later I m almost ready to move them so my sweet Platys aren t being harassed . Listen to the experts here ( of which I am not one of). They just have the fishes best interest at heart. Best of luck & hope you get many hrs of enjoyment from your tank.

I have been set on the angle and rams since the start and have been told by many people here that they'd work..

Back
Top Bottom