Finishing off my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a cycled 20 gallon high and I want to finish off my tank soon. Like with the stock I have and I want some recommendations. So far I have 2 male platies and 2 fancy male guppies. Also two ghost shrimp. What do you suggest? I like colorful for the most part, but that doesn't really matter. Maybe a school of something and a center piece? I like cory cats, do they swim around or just stay sucking on stuff? I tried zebra danios and they were too agressive I think I needed a bigger school. So something that is peaceful is a must, my tank is currently very peaceful.

According to aqadvisor im at 53% stocking level and 259% filration so suggest away!

What kind of substrate do you have? Corys have sensitive barbels that can get injured if the substrate is too sharp; if you have sand or smooth gravel though it should be fine. You could do something like 4 small corys (like Pandas) and a school of 6-8 fish, like rummynose tetra or harlequin rasbora (there are other options, those are the two that came to mind).

Unfortunately I only have petsmart as a fish option, and i haven't seen panda corys, but I'll keep a look out! And I have smooth gravel, but I do have a few shells. They look pretty smooth but should I take them out if I get the corys? I have seen some pretty long fin red minors, but do guppies fin nip? I think I've read that some where, or do they keep to picking on each other? Thanks for all the help

What kind of options are available at your LPS?

You should try some Ornate tetras (also known as candy cane). They are really pretty and colorful and seem very peaceful.

We also have 3 small angels with them, they are good together. And we just got a new bristlenose pleco which is very cool and great for keeping everything clean.

My petsmart is a little bit smaller than others. I don't believe I've seen the candy canes but I'm going there in a couple hours so ill post my options. Thank you!

I would go with a small group of peppered or alibino Cory's like 5. Then maybe a small group if neon tetras like 5 or 6.

Yeah I think i'm going to finish my tank with some neon tetras or red minors. Does anyone have experience with red minors? Do you recommend them?

I'm still deciding and have a couple months to think. Are they pretty active?

Such a hard choice! But I do think I'm going to go with corys or neon tetras. But i'm thinking a school of corys. I was reading on red minors but I've read they can be agressive which is definitely not something I'm dealing with again. So I think corys it is!

You should try a school of harlequin rasboras!! They are so peaceful! And when you bring them home and they become comfortable they turn to this really pretty pinkish purple color, not like what they look like in the pet stores

Those are really pretty! I have never seen them though and my local petsmart doesn't carry too much :\ But I will keep my eyes out for them. Thanks!

We just bought some blood fin tetras and pristella tetras. Both are cool in a school in a smaller tanks and are inexpensive.

What did you end up getting?

I haven't gotten anything just yet, because I think one of my platys has fin rot and I'm gonna wait until my tank is all treated, etc. But I may end up getting both? Like group of cories and group of tetras maybe. I'll see what AqAdvisor says :)

Back
Top Bottom