Fire-bellied newts vs Fantail goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15 gallon tank with a little fiddler crab, a black molly, a 2.5 inch fantail and two ~3 inch fire-bellied newts. Any creative suggestions on how to feed the newts without the goldfish stealing half their food?

I used to have some salamanders and I would place some frozen brine shrimp on a small flat rock just above the water line. (They would also ate slow bugs and grubs.) Your newts only compition then will be the fiddler crab, and the gold fish will clean up any leftovers that get pushed into the water.. Make sure to remove and rinse your rock between uses.

Your goldfish is a coldwater fish. It doesn't belong in the same tank as a Molly. I won't speak for the other critters as I don't know their ideal living environments.

The goldfish and the molly are best friends :)

Turns out the newts have no problem getting the food before the goldfish and they even take chopped leaf worms from my fingers (yes I washed my hands).

I moved the fiddler crab to my crayfish tank as he's pretty aggressive and I didnt like him being with the newts. Now the tank consists of the goldfish, the 2 newts, the molly, and 4 bronze corys. Seems to be working quite well. :)

The goldfish can get up to 8" and is not suitable for a 10 gallon. Get it a 30gallon.

And firebelly newts in an aquarium. I HATE to hear this one. They are 1/2 terrestrial you know. They need to come out of the water as much as they need to be under water. They are both terrestrial and aquatic. I feel my newts frozen bloodworm and copped veggies with calcium supplement.

Mollies cant even live in a 15gallon tank. They get too big.

Of course I know that goldfish grow. I should have mentioned that the goldfish is about 2 inches long and the molly is under 1.5. They'll be moved to a bigger aquarium when they're ready. As far as the newts, I've heard they're mostly aquatic from 90% of the sources, so we'll just have to see. For now they seem very happy in the aquarium. They do have a floating land platform and a lot of room to be above the water.

Believe it or not you guys who have been doing this for a long time arent the only ones who do research. I take their care and housing very seriously. It really varies from one source to another. For instance I've heard in many places that newts are entirely carnivorous and wouldn't eat veggies, however you've proven that to be false. Mine have access to spirellina pellets. Sorry if you HATE hearing about newts being kept in aquariums. I appreciate your input.

I appologize for my audacious comment. But i am just really blunt when it comes to fishkeeping.

I actually have a FB newt that is 100% terrestrial. Wont go near water. Mine eat mashed peas mostly.

I would recommend moving the goldfish and molly to larger tanks ASAP as this will encourage proper growth and you wont end up with crippled fish.

I agree that mollies and goldfish can be kept together. I have kept platies and goldfish together without any problems whatsoever.

I wonder how my goldfish would like it if I moved them both to a larger tank and got a few more mollies. The one molly I have is female, so I could get a male and another female or two. I'd get another goldfish, except that while he seems very fond and even protective of the molly, the other goldfish that I put in the tank a few months ago was dead the next morning, as was a pleco I attempted to add. I have no proof that Brahma (goldfish) killed them, but I have a feeling he did. If I got a much bigger tank for Brahma and the mollys I'd feel the need to put more in it than one goldfish and a couple mollys. I'll have to think about that.

I actually had a betta and a fantail goldfish live very happily together in a 5 gallon tank, until I moved them and my heater stopped working midwinter.

The goldfish was only about an inch in total when I bought it, the betta full grown; but they swam together slept side by side all the time and never went after each other. once the goldfish got to be about 2 inches long I got a 10gallon tank and they loved it, I tried a few guppies but that didnt last, I tried a pleco and that didnt work, so I was going to leave them til the gold fish got too big and give to someone witha pond except I grew up in an old house on a farm and one night in the winter the power went out and I lost the betta, it was only about a week or so and I lost the goldfish.

just showing that incompatible fish can live together just like a dog raising ritten or whatever.

This is one of my first post and its quite old. Since then the crab was eaten by the crayfish, the goldfish and molly now are in a 30 gallon tank with several other mollys and a pleco, and the newts are in a 10 gallon vivarium with a 2.5 gallon tank for water. Looking back I'd say having all of them in the 10 gallon tank wasn't wise.

Back
Top Bottom