Fire belly toads or fiddler crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright so I have a 10 gallon set up currently for toads because I was going to get some. But now I'm having second thoughts mainly because I don't really want to keep crickets. With fiddler crabs I don't have to but I'll have to convert my tank to sand which I really don't feel like doing. So I was wondering what you guys think I should do?

Why do you have to convert to sand for the fiddlers? I used to keep them in a half water half land tanks with some newts and guppies and used gravel. They grew well, and were quite healthy.

I read that they need sand to burrow, and I have rocks right now on top of gravel, I'll show you.

Attachments

• image-283638753.jpg
    image-283638753.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 132
IMO I would get the toads. I personally think that the crabs look odd with one arm getting gigantic and the other staying tiny.

Also, you might want to make an edit to your question; you want fiddler crabs, not fiddler craps.

I'm certainly no expert on fiddler crabs so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you gave them some places to hide, you'd be fine. Stack the rocks like small caves and they'll feel safe if they need to scurry and hide.

Mine would hide in all the water plants when they felt the need to. They spent a LOT of time in the half in half out of the water areas looking for stuff to eat. Picking each and every grain of gravel thoroughly.

Every once in a while they'd catch a small guppy fry and it was chomp time.

bud29 said:
IMO I would get the toads. I personally think that the crabs look odd with one arm getting gigantic and the other staying tiny.

Also, you might want to make an edit to your question; you want fiddler crabs, not fiddler craps.

That's embarrassing.. Haha and idk why but I want the toads a lot, but idk about the crickets, they seem like a hassle

I can Definatly make hiding spots for crabs, I love making them for my fish. Decisions decisions...

Well, here is something you might want to take into consideration: Fiddler crabs apparently need brackish water. (I just read this.) I also just read that the legs of the crab are designed to walk on sand, and they can actually die of frustration if there is a gravel substrate that is too hard to walk on.

I see... Yeah I'm leaning twords the toads, can I feed them bugs I catch from outside or worms? I've heard two different things about that. Maybe I'll just buy enough crickets for 1 feeding. My lfs is pretty close.

The toad would eat earthworms, if you could find any of those. But the best option is to vary its diet so you should probably give him some crickets sometimes too. The toads can also eat small guppies and bloodworms.

Could I put the guppies in the water in the tank and he will eat them out of there? Or do they eat them on land? I think I'm going to get two

Back
Top Bottom