Fire Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have one of these? I was at my LFS today and feel in love. The little guy was about 9 inches nose to tail and BEAUTIFUL! Still cycling my 130 gallon build but he seems like an addition id like. How will he do in a community tank (swordtails, mollies, tetras etc.)?:D

WOW!!! Did not realize they got that big. Was told about 11inches by LFS. Maybe I need to not fall in love so fast :facepalm:

I had one for about 8years and he/she was a good friend, would wrap themselves around my wrist during tank maintenance and would do a fun little dance at the surface at feeding time, earthworms were the only food that was readily accepted, I tried feeders or grass shrimp and other live foods, tasted and quickly refused, worms were it. Some may say smaller stock may be at risk and I'd say that depends on the eel. Mine grew to about 20" in a 90 gallon and passed while under the care of my inlaws before I could move the tank to the new house, after that I didn't keep fish for @ 5 years, that's how attached you can get to these guys, they do like a nice cave to hide in and do better with a sand or a smooth rounded substrate and can handle a fairly broad range of water parameters as long as there aren't any sudden changes, but just the fact that your taking the time to cycle your tank and the time to ask before purchasing show you most likely have all the skills in place to care for one these wonderful critters, my only warning is when first introduced they can be shy and slow to feed but once you get them going they can be voracious eaters and in time may readily accept food from your hand, hope my personal experience helps in your decision if you have more questions I'll gladly try to help

Very awesome fish but IMO you will need a 180 to house them properly the 130 is just a touch small.

Anyone have one of these? I was at my LFS today and feel in love. The little guy was about 9 inches nose to tail and BEAUTIFUL! Still cycling my 130 gallon build but he seems like an addition id like. How will he do in a community tank (swordtails, mollies, tetras etc.)?:D

I have about the same size in my 120 community. He does perfectly fine. Not many people have good things to say about my stocking, but it works for me and my fish. Nobody bothers him and he leaves everyone else alone.

I had one for about 8years and he/she was a good friend, would wrap themselves around my wrist during tank maintenance and would do a fun little dance at the surface at feeding time, earthworms were the only food that was readily accepted, I tried feeders or grass shrimp and other live foods, tasted and quickly refused, worms were it. Some may say smaller stock may be at risk and I'd say that depends on the eel. Mine grew to about 20" in a 90 gallon and passed while under the care of my inlaws before I could move the tank to the new house, after that I didn't keep fish for @ 5 years, that's how attached you can get to these guys, they do like a nice cave to hide in and do better with a sand or a smooth rounded substrate and can handle a fairly broad range of water parameters as long as there aren't any sudden changes, but just the fact that your taking the time to cycle your tank and the time to ask before purchasing show you most likely have all the skills in place to care for one these wonderful critters, my only warning is when first introduced they can be shy and slow to feed but once you get them going they can be voracious eaters and in time may readily accept food from your hand, hope my personal experience helps in your decision if you have more questions I'll gladly try to help

I agree. They have quite a personality. I started feeding mine with a turkey baster believe it or not. Just so my other guys wouldn't eat all the bloodworms before he could get to them. Now I feed him right out of my hand. And he is basically diurnal. I see some people say they never see their fire eel because they are nocturnal.

Tire track eels don't grow as large as fire eels, though they do lose the ornate pattern and become a plain muddy brown when they're mature. Still pretty much the same as far as behavior/care, not as particular about the water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom