Fire Eel feeding....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just feeding my fire eels tonight, and had something happen that was quite interesting. I normally put a clear tube in the water towards the bottom, so I can pour the bloodworms in and not have them scatter from the current that the filters make. Well, tonight both eels targeted the tube and both swam up it at the same time, and got stuck. Well, not really. I was able to lift the tube up and they slid back out because there's not enough room for then to try to turn around in the tube with both them in there. I've had 1 eel go in and turn, and would get wedged, and had a terrible time getting it out without injury. But this time, both 13+ inch eels swam up the 1.5" plastic tube at the same time, lol. They know what that tube means, it means, FOOD........ LOL

As an update, from looking at my eels, they are now looking like maybe 13" and 14". They are sure growing, I can remember when they were only 2.5". And that was about a year and a half ago. LOL Time flies, LOL

I think this is the fish my husbands uncle just got from his kids for a 75 or 100g tank. IS that an appropriate sized tank for him? I think he said it is 4-5" now. And what do you feed them?

Those spiny eels have no problems going up long skinny things! I had one that swam up my fluvals outflow nozzle and met its demise at the impeller. I didn't see it, so I can't rule out that it did it during a power outage when the flow was off.

Musket said:
I think this is the fish my husbands uncle just got from his kids for a 75 or 100g tank. IS that an appropriate sized tank for him? I think he said it is 4-5" now. And what do you feed them?

Actually, in the end, a 75G is still going to be too small. They get to 42+ inches. As for feeding, I mainly feed frozen bloodworms. And sometimes I'll mix frozen brine shrimp in with it. They won't eat the brine shrimp alone, but will eat it with the bloodworms.

Back
Top Bottom