Fire Eel Not Eating : /

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Years ago I had a fire eel that wouldn't eat anything but tubifex worms. After a couple years he got to be 34" or so he would accept nightcralers too. After he started eating the nightcralers he also accepted other big worms like red worms and earthworms (sometimes) from the fishing bait shop. Got pricey tho cuz he mainly ate the tube worms and nightcralers. The nightcralers were like $5 for 12 or so & he ate 2 a day + the tube worms.

A decade ago all my LFS sold them along with live brine. Now in my area only 2 still do. Depending on where you live I would call the LFS in the area and ask them or buy them online from somewhere (as I bet someone ships them). As for the larger worms try a bait & tackle shop. FYI if you find tubifex rinse them very well before you place them in the tank as they are dirty.

Btw I never had a fish salt or fresh that didn't go nuts for tube worms except certain algae eaters for obvious reasons.

Keithhjs said:
Btw I never had a fish salt or fresh that didn't go nuts for tube worms except certain algae eaters for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the help! What size tank was yours in

Started in a 20. Couple months later a 55. And after bout a year a 125. Eventually I re-homed it to a guy that had a 220 with 2 other adults.

Should be fine for quite a while in a 150. What fish are you keeping it with? I had mine at first with South American Cichlids and it was extremely shy, almost never came out. Then I got rid of the cichlids and kept more community, less aggressive fish and it hung out frequently. It ate out of my hand after it started eating big worms. Sure loved to topple rockwork burrowing tho lol. Hope yours eats well and does good cuz they are cool eels to keep.

I have a Semi-Aggressive tank
1 Angel Fish
1 Blood Parrot
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
And of course 1 Fire Eel
But the bullies of my tank are the Blood Parrot and the Eclipse Catfish. They just chase so nothing to serious. No fish have ever got hurt :)

My fire eel only eats Night Crawlers. I'm allergic to blood worms so I can't feed those.

For those with smaller fire eels you can always cut the worms up into thinner pieces, they should take them then.

It's a wolf fish. I had him over 5 years but during the power outages on the east coast I lost most of my fish. We didn't have power or water for a week.

That's what I thought. And that really stinks I would be so bummed to lose a fish like that. So far he will only take Ghost Shrimp.

Yea.. I'm down to one tank and a couple fish.

My first fire eel which was 16" would only take worms as well. This little guy is acting the same way. He's only 10".

As small as it is I imagine the worms are way to big.. try cutting them up tonight, I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Mine at 10" can only eat half a worm at a time. The 16" one that I had ate them whole.

Ok I'm really hoping he will take it. Then Ill know for sure that he's eating. Ill update if he takes them.

Added some cut up worms earlier today and found them not eaten. I took them out and gave them to my Blood Parrot. Ill try again tonight though.

Back
Top Bottom