Fire Eel Not Eating : /

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a small 3 inch FE 2 days ago. Yesterday I put in some frozen blood worms. He swam up to them and sucked them in, then spit them back out. So I assumed he doesn't like them. I put in a shrimp pellet last night and I woke up to find it untouched. I just bought some small Earth Worms from Petsmart and put one in the tank. He swam up to it and touched it with his nose and swam away. I don't know what else to feed him... Help please!

He didnt take worms!! Whoa, thats like their favorte food. I'd wait a lttle for him to get used to his home

The small ones are very sensitive I had a 4 inch one that died after 4 days :( nothing wrong at all he was eating and perams was perfect, the guy at the lfs I always go to said he doesn't buy them small because they always die! Hope yours is ok coz this put me off them :/ I'd try live brine shrimp

I hope so, I never had a chance to find out but I think shrimp is their main diet in the wild so fingers crossed natural instinct will kick in.
Good luck

Shane87 said:
I hope so, I never had a chance to find out but I think shrimp is their main diet in the wild so fingers crossed natural instinct will kick in.
Good luck

Thanks ill keep updating guys! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Would it be better to get another because I noticed at the pet store they were all together like a schooling fish?

Great news! The second I added them he went after them! I think he's eaten 3 so far. I found his new favorite food :)

I'm thinking about trying one again now lol hope all goes well with him from now on

Congrats on finding a food source. I've heard fire eels can take up to a couple of weeks before they start eating and become acclimated to their new home. I've had mine for two weeks now. tried feeding frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and live black worms. So far he has only nipped at some of the live worms but did finish them. I will try some ghost shrimp tomorrow.

Ghost shrimp are about 50 cents each at my pet stores. Having one of those would be a very expensive fish to feed.

Back
Top Bottom