firemouth and frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebastian2345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon tank with a fire mouth cichlid, and i was wondering if i could keep an african clawed frog with it. Would the frog eat it? would the fire mouth eat the frog?

I personally doubt that would work. The firemouth would probably agitate the frog and restrict it from reaching the surface to breathe

In a tank with the footprint of a 20 gallon long, not sure if it's a good idea to add anything with a territorial cichlid.

Would a painted turtle be able to live with it, or would it eat a firemmouth?

A painted turtle has no business in a 37 gallon. They need at least a 75, plus they're not commonly available commercially, and removing from the wild is not only typically illegal, but very frowned upon. Add a semi-aggressive schooler, like barbs or larger tetras, and call it a day. Any non-fish you add with a fire mouth will typically end with headache

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A painted turtle has no business in a 37 gallon. They need at least a 75, plus they're not commonly available commercially, and removing from the wild is not only typically illegal, but very frowned upon. Add a semi-aggressive schooler, like barbs or larger tetras, and call it a day. Any non-fish you add with a fire mouth will typically end with headache

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 there are very few aquatic non fish that can coexist with south american/central American cichlids in general. Like stated by gecko, semi aggressive schoolers will work or maybe a large bristlenose pleco, but you would need some sort of cave it could hide in

I've never had a firemouth, but every time I see them at the LFS they always seem agitated AF.

I have larger SA/CA cichlids, so it's probably not a solid comparison, but everything I've put in there they've either eaten, murdered, nipped and/or beaten the bag out of. I still try, but it's a bit of a money pit.

Just an FYI, the frog would have great difficulty making it to the surface of the tank, with 24 inches high! Especially if there is a current.

These guys are best kept in shallow tanks, under 15" high.

Back
Top Bottom