FIREMOUTH is HYPERVENTILATING! Need advice ASAP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Phishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody... I have a firemouth cichlid that is about an inch long, looks very healthy and fit, but it looks like it's gasping for air.. stressing his lips in and out rapidly as I send this darnit! Had him for almost 2 weeks and dont know what's goin on.. Need advice ASAP! please

- 29 gallon tank
- 100 and 150 Penguin Bio-Wheel Filtration System
- pH - 7.6 - 7.8
- temperature - 78 to 80 degrees
- substrate - 50 lbs of thoroughly rinsed/cleansed playsand
- limestone and black slate slabs, a piece of malaysian driftwood

For your remaining fish.....How long has the tank been set up? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If it's a new tank toxins could be building in the water which frequent water changes would fix. There's a link in my signature called: new tank with fish. Give it a read and see if it applies to your situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yooo... sorry for the late response.. been workin.. but yes, I sent him "off" or should I say "back" to a local pet store with his old buddies. As for my nitrate, nitite, and ammonia levels.. I haven't bought a test kit quite yet.. probably tomorrow or tuesday.. i'll g,et that data to you asap.. So since my firemouth is gone, I was thinkin about stockin my tank a bit more over the next few weeks.. Just a reminder.. all my fish are fine and getting along for now.. all young juveniles.. 2 GBR's and 3 Angels (which chill together, not even nipping, probably will change as they mature and get bigger, but i'll cross that bridge when it approaches), and 4 cardinal tetras.. so I was thinkin about adding a bottom dweller, which would be a Striped Rafeal, an exotic type of pleco (probably a sailfin or spotted), and 3 more Cardinal Tetras.. and maybe a freshwater shark (any suggestions on that?).. Thanks for listening guys.. lemme know your opinons.. would be m

Back
Top Bottom