First Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been craving a second tank and decided to go with something small and simple that can sit on my nightstand. It's a two gal with a male betta. The only other things in there are gravel, a cracked pot from my LFS, and a 7.5 watt heater. There is a lot of conflicing information out there on bettas. It took awhile to figure out what was false and what seemed to be accurate information.

He's been doing well, swimming around, and started eating the first day. Just to clarify one last time (since I haven't asked here), is there anything else I should do or know about? If I wanted to add 1 more creature in there, what species would work well? I've heard shrimp and mollies are ok, but I've heard a lot of other things as well that seemed wrong (like tiger barbs). Or should I leave him with 2 gal all to himself?

A 7.5 W heater...I've never seen one smaller that 25W. It's good you have it because contrary to popular belief, bettas are tropical fish, and as such require a conatant temperature of about 78oF. The only thing I would caution you about is direct sunlight or nearby incandescent lamps. These can really heat up a 2 gal tank.

As for tankmates, you are pretty limited by the tank's size. I wouldn't recommend any mid or top-dwelling fish because they would just bump into and annoy the betta to no end. Dwarf cory catfish prefer to be in groups of three or more - too much bioload for a 2 gal. A single african dwarf frog might work, depending on your betta's temperament. Best bet might be a ghost shrimp.

The only other advice I can think of is to feed microwaved (30s), shelled, crushed peas once a week to prevent constipation. Hikari betta pellets are a good staple diet when supplemented with live or frozen bloodworms. Without a filter, you should replace a few cups of water every 2 - 3 days. Finally, bettas love a place to rest - live Java moss or a small silk plant will do nicely. Avoid hard plastic plants that may tear the betta's fins. HTH

QTOFFER said:
A 7.5 W heater...I've never seen one smaller that 25W. (snip)

It's called a "Junior Heater" by Jr. Aquatics. Just 4" big.

Thanks for all your advice. I never heard about the pea thing before.

I would think that the 2gal is just enough room for the betta. You will hear that alot of folks on hear don't think any fish should be in anything smaller than a 5gal. Bettas being a slight exception to that rule, but you should think of it more as how can i help my fishies thrive not just survive. (again alot of folks on here use that phrase quite often) I actually got my betta a 5gal tank about 6 weeks ago and the difference is amazing. In the little "betta home" she pretty much just hung around not doing much, now in the 5gal she swims around always flaring at this one spot on the background (thinking there is a hole there i think) and then circles and comes back again... ...point is she is MUCH happier in the larger one. I dont think there is that big a price difference between those little "betta homes" and a small 5gal. Mine was less than $30 cdn for tank, hood light and filter. HTH

Mazdaman said:
you should think of it more as how can i help my fishies thrive not just survive. HTH
(y)

Yep, there is a *HUGE* difference between what a fish can survive and what will allow the same fish to thrive!!

As far as the current set-up - the small size of the tank and absence of any filtration pretty much eliminates any possible tankmates for your betta. He will be much happier (and healthier) if you skip getting him a friend. If you upgrade to a larger (ie 5+) home for him and add filtration to prevent bio-overload then there are some options........

I used to have a betta in a 3 gallon..he seemed happy there :)

I won't put anything more than a betta in a 2 gallon though + you will have to stay on top of your water quality. Get some java moss if you can , the betta will like that

Mazdaman said:
I would think that the 2gal is just enough room for the betta. You will hear that alot of folks on hear don't think any fish should be in anything smaller than a 5gal. Bettas being a slight exception to that rule, but you should think of it more as how can i help my fishies thrive not just survive. (again alot of folks on here use that phrase quite often) I actually got my betta a 5gal tank about 6 weeks ago and the difference is amazing. In the little "betta home" she pretty much just hung around not doing much, now in the 5gal she swims around always flaring at this one spot on the background (thinking there is a hole there i think) and then circles and comes back again... ...point is she is MUCH happier in the larger one. I dont think there is that big a price difference between those little "betta homes" and a small 5gal. Mine was less than $30 cdn for tank, hood light and filter. HTH

The "betta homes" are only a few ounces and impossible to regulate temperature which is why I never bought one. 2 gal is double the minimum so I don't see how there would be a great advantage for the fish using 5 over 2. Also, almost everything I read was against using filters since bettas dislike having to swim with a current and prefer still water. Most suggested frequent water changes instead, keeping ammonia at 0 and never letting the tank cycle. If you have a reliable resource that says differently, I'd be interested in reading it.

Maybe I am misreading your last reply but you almost seem hostile about the responses you have gotten thus far. While I understand some of what you are saying I think you might bear in mind that you have already stated this is your first betta and much (if not all) of the advice you are getting is coming from people who have kept bettas and are speaking from their personal experience as far as what worked best for the fish they kept.
Yes, 2 gallons is "double the minimum" but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't appreciate even more space to spread his fins. For perspective let's say that 100 sq feet was the "minimum" a human "needs" -- would you say that 200 sq feet was ample since it was double the minimum or would you prefer to have even more than double the space for your own comfort? As has been said, there is a difference between surviving and thriving...just food for thought.
As far as the filtration - there are plenty of different methods available for filtration that will minimize current creation - for example a sponge filter with a low air setting would provide some filtration without adding a lot of water disturbance. There are also many "mini-filters" that when used in say a 5 gallon set-up actually create very little "current" but do provide good filtration (have used these in our 5 gallons with great results - and, yes, have used them with bettas and had VERY happy fish).
No one is saying the set-up you have is wrong (perhaps that is some of the defensiveness I think I see?) but they are saying that there is always ways to make it better, that's all. You asked about wanting to add tankmates and it was pointed out that while the current set-up is okay for the one betta you would need to re-think it in order to add to the bio-load....that's all.
BTW - what color is your boy?? I love bettas......... :D

Thank you mandi, I agree, I did not mean any of what i said to be taken in a negative manner. Just offering info that I have had personal experience with. I too kept my betta in a small container (1gal) and yes she did just fine. She is much happier in the 5 gal. Alsp i have an "elite" submersible filter that allows one to direct the outflow. I placed it mid way down the tank and right in a corner and then directed the flow into the corner virtually eliminating any current... Again sorry if anything came across wrong just adding my experience for help.

I think 2 gal will be perfectly fine for a betta so long as water changes are done regularly (not that difficult with a 2 gal tank, anyway :wink: ). The reason I've always went with bigger tanks for my bettas is that I've never come across a heater small enough for a two gal - unicorn2tears appears to have solved that dilemma.

mandi said:
Maybe I am misreading your last reply but you almost seem hostile about the responses you have gotten thus far. While I understand some of what you are saying I think you might bear in mind that you have already stated this is your first betta and much (if not all) of the advice you are getting is coming from people who have kept bettas and are speaking from their personal experience as far as what worked best for the fish they kept.
(snip)
BTW - what color is your boy?? I love bettas......... :D

Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound hostile. I work nights and I typed out that reply just before I headed out for work so I felt rushed and may not have replied the way I should have. No offense meant to anyone and thanks for all the great advice!

He has a purple head, blue body,`and bright red tails. :)

Back
Top Bottom