First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks :) I've wanted one for years now. Oh dear what happened to your babies :(?

I cured their ich then they got fungal infection, my lfs took them too treat as I couldn't for my elephant nose & they died. Both me & my husband was devastated. Good luck with yours :)

I cured their ich then they got fungal infection, my lfs took them too treat as I couldn't for my elephant nose & they died. Both me & my husband was devastated. Good luck with yours :)

Aww sorry to hear that I can imagine you would have been! Thanks I'm hoping it all goes well

Marley seems to be settling in very nicely. He's busily inspecting his home and loving the live plants and little hidey holes to explore. He had a nice breakfast of frozen foods. He's just so adorable! And not shy with me at all he already comes up to the glass when I'm looking at him. Pics from this morning

image-1839691668.jpg

image-1592007016.jpg

Attachments

• image-3158166281.jpg
    image-3158166281.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 80
Glad to hear it!! Petsmart had GBRs for 50% off so I finally got my electric blue ram a girlfriend! Haha

Skyla - Marley is a beauty. U mentioned testing for 0 nitrates and that is great for Rams. But u did not mention about pH of your tank. Rams need water on the acidic side -- 6.0 to 6.5 is optimal for them to thrive. In my experience - constant water change of 20% every other day and keeping pH level steady is crucial for rams' survival. They absolutely do not tolerate overcrowding. Good luck!

Glad to hear it!! Petsmart had GBRs for 50% off so I finally got my electric blue ram a girlfriend! Haha

They are soo pretty my bf was tossing up on getting one of those or the gbr we obviously went with the gbr. The electric blues were $33 each and the gbr only $9.50. Awesome getting one with 50% off! I want one when I upgrade :)

I know! I "only" paid 25 for my electric, and I almost got a female one instead of the grb just because I thought I would make some money with the fry, but electrics are harder to sex and I think having the female GBR will look prettier since ill be able to see a pink belly and all that. My GBR was a steal too at $3.50! Haha

I know! I "only" paid 25 for my electric, and I almost got a female one instead of the grb just because I thought I would make some money with the fry, but electrics are harder to sex and I think having the female GBR will look prettier since ill be able to see a pink belly and all that. My GBR was a steal too at $3.50! Haha

Oh wow you did get a great deal :)

Skyla - Marley is a beauty. U mentioned testing for 0 nitrates and that is great for Rams. But u did not mention about pH of your tank. Rams need water on the acidic side -- 6.0 to 6.5 is optimal for them to thrive. In my experience - constant water change of 20% every other day and keeping pH level steady is crucial for rams' survival. They absolutely do not tolerate overcrowding. Good luck!

Oh well that's good news then. I tested the ph it was at 7 should I try and lower it somehow ? Or just make sure it stays steady ? Ill test the ph again and the params todays.

Oh well that's good news then. I tested the ph it was at 7 should I try and lower it somehow ? Or just make sure it stays steady ? Ill test the ph again and the params todays.

You can, but its probably not going hurt him. Most rams that we see are bred and raised in higher ph. Mine spawned at 6.8

You can, but its probably not going hurt him. Most rams that we see are bred and raised in higher ph. Mine spawned at 6.8

Ok so as long as its not on the high soda and I keep it stable then? How would I go about naturally lowering the ph? I know not to use chemicals to do it and stuff

I think if you're at a steady 7 you will be perfectly fine and its probably really not worth the extra effort to lower it another .2

I got got my first 2 gbr's the other day too :), I'm using my 29 gallon to hold them until I buy my 40 breeder and get that up and running

I think if you're at a steady 7 you will be perfectly fine and its probably really not worth the extra effort to lower it another .2

I tested everything again and all good apart from the ph it was a bit higher 7.2 so I think I'm going to get some peat to try and lower it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom