First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marley had his first dinner of frozen blood worms and was very impressed! I love all my fish but omg he's lovely, they move in such an awesome way as well.

Yay pics!? I'm so in love with mine
I will get some! I think I may be moving him to another tank and getting him a tank mate. I was so excited to get him, I didn't think about the fact he would be in a tank full of rainbowfish. My bows are crackheads! I'm concerned they're too active for him. And they are piglets when it comes to feeding time. The ram seems to hold his own though. I'm concerned about water levels though. I'm going to have to do more research.

Here's a link of the first day he was out with the bows. He was a little stressed so his colors weren't very bright. He looks amazing now! I'll try to get a pic soon. I named him Claude.
Blue Ram - YouTube

I watched it so very cute! Your rainbows are gorgeous too! I want to get Marley a Mate as well but u have to wait till I get a bigger tank which I'm gonna try get for my birthday in march. I want to make sure I'm successful with keeping Marley happy and healthy first too I'd be completely devastated if he doesn't make it because if my stupidity so I'm reading reading reading haha. Marleys also my boyfriends first fish that he's actually chosen and bought himself and he's actually finally interested a bit more in fish keeping! Yay I'm trying to get him into it hehe that means someone to be obsessed with me ;)

Can anyone tell me round about how old Marley would be? He's about 3.5cm head to tail. I was looking it up and I'm thinking about 4months? But I know you guys will be better at guessing for me. He hasn't got his bright yellows yet either if that helps?

So I went to the lfs to try and get some peat but they didn't have any so he suggested the API water softening pillow. Has anyone used them and are they a good option? I just don't want to put anything in the tank with Marley without finding out its ok first.

image-2755491537.jpg

Ahhh fudge crackers! :/ I've been hit with the ich again! Marley has a white spot on his pectoral fun which I believe is ich. He's still acting normal eating like a pig and swimming around actively. So hopefully I kick it in the butt early and hopefully it's just ich! I just did a 60% water change raised the temp to 28d Celsius (82 Fahrenheit I think that is) I'm going to the pet shop now to get some aquarium salt if you guys say that's the way to go with Marley? I don't have corys in this tank but the plecs and loaches so they should be fine to add the salt ?

Oh and so over small tanks and trying to keep them healthy as soon as my birthday comes around I'm getting a larger aquarium which should mean more stability and less drama trying to keep the water pristine.

Oh no! Yea bigger tanks are definitely easier, I've under stocked my small tanks and haven't introduced any pet shop fish to them so luckily I haven't had any issues with disease

Oh no! Yea bigger tanks are definitely easier, I've under stocked my small tanks and haven't introduced any pet shop fish to them so luckily I haven't had any issues with disease

I am fully stocked at the moment and will he over stocked when my fish reach full grown size I'm lucky my plecs are babies still and so is Marley. I always had the intention of upgrading before that happens anyway. I do 50% water change every 3 days and check the params every second day so I keep in top if it all the best I can. But yes I've been very silly and not had a quarantine set up for new fish which has been a big mistake. I've now got my chi empty so I can use it for that reason I've learnt my lesson it took awhile but at least I won't be making the same mistake again.

Well I got the salt as I saw a white small growth on one of my neons bottom lip. It doesn't look like cotton mouth or like its fluffy and he seems no different. I just thought maybe salt would help with it aswell as the rams ich? So I just dissolved 10teaspoons of aquarium salt and added it will that be enough ? It's a 17.5g tank. The temps still at 28degrees Celsius ill bring it up to 29tomorrow .

Marley had a swollen lip looked skin coloured but has gone away I'm thinking it was a bump or bruise. He's doing well and the ich doesn't seem to be getting any worse or spread to any other fish. Marley has a very healthy appetite and is always checking out whether I've got food him or not when I come close to the tank. He really likes the vege wafers I feed the plecos and kuhlis and shares with them it's so cute :)
I'm still not sure he's a boy though it looks like He or she I suppose gas the blue flecks in the black dot sometimes like the girls supposedly do. I'm not sure though. And can anyone tell me when Marley will get his bright yellow colouring?

That would come with age. Around 6 months. Also How much yellow/gold can vary from fish to fish. It's Also more noticeable in the males. In most female usually very little or it is very faint.

Last edited:
That would come with age. Around 6 months. Also How much yellow/gold can very from fish to fish. It's Also more noticeable in the males. In most female usually very little or it is very faint.

Thanks, ill try and get some more pics of Marley and see if you think it's a boy still. Maybe he's too young to sex I have no idea how old he is though. I don't see a pink belly yet or more than a faint yellow tinge.

So hard to get a pic since he's become so active he's a confident little guy and took to feeding from my fingers a few days ago.

it's a male, the black dot is "washed out" which only happens to the males were as the females have blue speckles in there black dots

Back
Top Bottom