First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is Marley :) my partner bought this little guy to go in my tank today and we are in love :) we know how sensitive they are to water quality and all so we did a 50% pwc and tested the water params to make sure all was perfect before adding Marley. We acclimated him over a period of 2hours adding small amounts of the tank water at a time to the floating bag. We made sure the lights were off to minimise the stress. When Marley finally got released into the tank we kept the light off for about another hour before feeding time. He seemed cautious when the lights were first switched on and then started inspecting and looking around inquisitively at his new home. I fed the other fish and am very happy that Marley had a food feed too and seemed a more impressed with his new home when he new there was food being supplied hehe. So that is my day one with Marley and hoping I can keep him or her? Happy and healthy . If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear them :)

image-2338755004.jpg

image-2441497726.jpg

image-1016351789.jpg

image-1660421220.jpg

image-522924265.jpg

I'm fairly certain it's a boy from everything I've read. I have an electric blue ram that's even harder to sex haha. Congrats on the new addition! They're great!

I'm fairly certain it's a boy from everything I've read. I have an electric blue ram that's even harder to sex haha. Congrats on the new addition! They're great!

Oh awesome :) what are the signs that he's a boy just so I know what to look for ? We're so excited to finally have one!

If anyone has any tips for me on how to keep Marley healthy and happy please share :) I want to make sure I'm doing all I can since they are quite delicate

This is Marley :) my partner bought this little guy to go in my tank today and we are in love :) we know how sensitive they are to water quality and all so we did a 50% pwc and tested the water params to make sure all was perfect before adding Marley. We acclimated him over a period of 2hours adding small amounts of the tank water at a time to the floating bag. We made sure the lights were off to minimise the stress. When Marley finally got released into the tank we kept the light off for about another hour before feeding time. He seemed cautious when the lights were first switched on and then started inspecting and looking around inquisitively at his new home. I fed the other fish and am very happy that Marley had a food feed too and seemed a more impressed with his new home when he new there was food being supplied hehe. So that is my day one with Marley and hoping I can keep him or her? Happy and healthy . If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear them :)

He's gorgeous! Really like these fish, makes me miss mine :(

Oh awesome :) what are the signs that he's a boy just so I know what to look for ? We're so excited to finally have one!

The males black spot won't have any blue speckles in it, the females can sometimes show a little more pink in their belly and the first or second spine on the dorsal fin will be much larger on males.

Oh also I had a question when I tested the water params today after a water change the ammonia was 0 nitrites 0 but the nitrates were 0 aswell which confused me as their usually about 20. Is this because I tested after a 50%water change instead of before like I usually do? And my tank is planted so Is this a bad thing?

I wouldn't worry since you have plants. Test tomorrow and see if some are detectable.

Rams are pretty fish aren't they? I just got my first GBR a couple of weeks ago too; I love staring at her. :) Which tank is this ram in? I looked at your signature and you're pretty heavily stocked already so just be careful. Most rams, with the exception of bolivians, prefer warmer temps, low 80s, which might be a bit high for most tropicals. I'm trying mine at 79 F but I've read that's the lower-end of what they like. So just FYI on that. Good luck with him!

Oh also I had a question when I tested the water params today after a water change the ammonia was 0 nitrites 0 but the nitrates were 0 aswell which confused me as their usually about 20. Is this because I tested after a 50%water change instead of before like I usually do? And my tank is planted so Is this a bad thing?

I'm so new to planted tanks I don't feel comfortable enough to answer you. I will say that I have order a fertz pack suggested by rivercats. To start dosing nitrates etc.

Rams are pretty fish aren't they? I just got my first GBR a couple of weeks ago too; I love staring at her. :) Which tank is this ram in? I looked at your signature and you're pretty heavily stocked already so just be careful. Most rams, with the exception of bolivians, prefer warmer temps, low 80s, which might be a bit high for most tropicals. I'm trying mine at 79 F but I've read that's the lower-end of what they like. So just FYI on that. Good luck with him!

Very pretty fish :) he's in the 70litre (17.5g) I have to update that I've moved fish around and changed things a bit since then. The tanks at 27 degrees Celsius I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit ill have to convert it.

Oh forgot to mention I will be upgrading tanks next year around march. The plecos are all still very small so I was going to upgrade so I'm able to house them as adults anyway. I can't wait to get a bigger tank

I'm so new to planted tanks I don't feel comfortable enough to answer you. I will say that I have order a fertz pack suggested by rivercats. To start dosing nitrates etc.

I'm dosing flourish comprehensive with the weekly water changes and are using API root Tabs so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom