Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
First blue ram :)

This is Marley my partner bought this little guy to go in my tank today and we are in love we know how sensitive they are to water quality and all so we did a 50% pwc and tested the water params to make sure all was perfect before adding Marley. We acclimated him over a period of 2hours adding small amounts of the tank water at a time to the floating bag. We made sure the lights were off to minimise the stress. When Marley finally got released into the tank we kept the light off for about another hour before feeding time. He seemed cautious when the lights were first switched on and then started inspecting and looking around inquisitively at his new home. I fed the other fish and am very happy that Marley had a food feed too and seemed a more impressed with his new home when he new there was food being supplied hehe. So that is my day one with Marley and hoping I can keep him or her? Happy and healthy . If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear them

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2338755004.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	138874



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441497726.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	138875



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1016351789.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	138876



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1660421220.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	138877



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-522924265.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	138878
__________________

__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Beautiful. They're stunning fish aren't they?
__________________

__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
I'm fairly certain it's a boy from everything I've read. I have an electric blue ram that's even harder to sex haha. Congrats on the new addition! They're great!
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Candiceg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 266
Get him a mate
__________________
Candiceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceg View Post
Get him a mate
Yeah we want to but first we are going to see how he goes and everything first get used to having them and how to care for them
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
I'm fairly certain it's a boy from everything I've read. I have an electric blue ram that's even harder to sex haha. Congrats on the new addition! They're great!
Oh awesome what are the signs that he's a boy just so I know what to look for ? We're so excited to finally have one!
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post
Beautiful. They're stunning fish aren't they?
They are amazing and completely adorable
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
If anyone has any tips for me on how to keep Marley healthy and happy please share I want to make sure I'm doing all I can since they are quite delicate
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by _skyla_ View Post
This is Marley my partner bought this little guy to go in my tank today and we are in love we know how sensitive they are to water quality and all so we did a 50% pwc and tested the water params to make sure all was perfect before adding Marley. We acclimated him over a period of 2hours adding small amounts of the tank water at a time to the floating bag. We made sure the lights were off to minimise the stress. When Marley finally got released into the tank we kept the light off for about another hour before feeding time. He seemed cautious when the lights were first switched on and then started inspecting and looking around inquisitively at his new home. I fed the other fish and am very happy that Marley had a food feed too and seemed a more impressed with his new home when he new there was food being supplied hehe. So that is my day one with Marley and hoping I can keep him or her? Happy and healthy . If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear them
He's gorgeous! Really like these fish, makes me miss mine
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by _skyla_ View Post

Oh awesome what are the signs that he's a boy just so I know what to look for ? We're so excited to finally have one!
The males black spot won't have any blue speckles in it, the females can sometimes show a little more pink in their belly and the first or second spine on the dorsal fin will be much larger on males.
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

The males black spot won't have any blue speckles in it, the females can sometimes show a little more pink in their belly and the first or second spine on the dorsal fin will be much larger on males.
Ah ok thanks for explaining that
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post

He's gorgeous! Really like these fish, makes me miss mine
Thanks I've wanted one for years now. Oh dear what happened to your babies ?
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phishfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH,VA
Posts: 1,527
Awesome!!! Im glad you got one!!! He looks good! He will really color up over the next few days and be a looker!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phishfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post
Awesome!!! Im glad you got one!!! He looks good! He will really color up over the next few days and be a looker!
I can't wait to see him change! If everything runs smoothly after a few months with Marley ill get him a little girl friend hehe.
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Oh also I had a question when I tested the water params today after a water change the ammonia was 0 nitrites 0 but the nitrates were 0 aswell which confused me as their usually about 20. Is this because I tested after a 50%water change instead of before like I usually do? And my tank is planted so Is this a bad thing?
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Candiceg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 266
I wouldn't worry since you have plants. Test tomorrow and see if some are detectable.
__________________
Candiceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Rams are pretty fish aren't they? I just got my first GBR a couple of weeks ago too; I love staring at her. Which tank is this ram in? I looked at your signature and you're pretty heavily stocked already so just be careful. Most rams, with the exception of bolivians, prefer warmer temps, low 80s, which might be a bit high for most tropicals. I'm trying mine at 79 F but I've read that's the lower-end of what they like. So just FYI on that. Good luck with him!
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phishfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH,VA
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by _skyla_ View Post
Oh also I had a question when I tested the water params today after a water change the ammonia was 0 nitrites 0 but the nitrates were 0 aswell which confused me as their usually about 20. Is this because I tested after a 50%water change instead of before like I usually do? And my tank is planted so Is this a bad thing?
I'm so new to planted tanks I don't feel comfortable enough to answer you. I will say that I have order a fertz pack suggested by rivercats. To start dosing nitrates etc.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phishfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Rams are pretty fish aren't they? I just got my first GBR a couple of weeks ago too; I love staring at her. Which tank is this ram in? I looked at your signature and you're pretty heavily stocked already so just be careful. Most rams, with the exception of bolivians, prefer warmer temps, low 80s, which might be a bit high for most tropicals. I'm trying mine at 79 F but I've read that's the lower-end of what they like. So just FYI on that. Good luck with him!
Very pretty fish he's in the 70litre (17.5g) I have to update that I've moved fish around and changed things a bit since then. The tanks at 27 degrees Celsius I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit ill have to convert it.

Oh forgot to mention I will be upgrading tanks next year around march. The plecos are all still very small so I was going to upgrade so I'm able to house them as adults anyway. I can't wait to get a bigger tank
__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
_skyla_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western australia
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post

I'm so new to planted tanks I don't feel comfortable enough to answer you. I will say that I have order a fertz pack suggested by rivercats. To start dosing nitrates etc.
I'm dosing flourish comprehensive with the weekly water changes and are using API root Tabs so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.
__________________

__________________
_skyla_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.