First Captive Spawning of Rare Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Greetings, All. - We are pleased to announce (read: bragging like all h*ll) that we have been informed that our recent spawning of Corydoras sarareensis is the first on record in the aquarium hobby. One of the rarest species of Cory, the sarareensis came to us misidentified as C. prionitus. Indigenous to a small river in Brazil we have been able to document only 3 importations into the U.S. in the past 35 years. The species was not scientifically named and catalogued until 1995. It does not have a common name.

The fish are a beautiful chocolate brown w/gold patina. A long, slender, long-snouted Cory, they are extremely active. I have no idea of the age of my specimens, but they appear to be young fish, possibly having just reached maturity. Their size at full maturity can only be guestimated.

The first spawning resulted in 60 - 1.5mm, strongly adhesive eggs, scattered across the bottom of the tank, with strays on the sides of the glass. No egg predation was observed. No anti-fungal agent was used as the spawning took place in one of 70 tanks in our centralized system. The breeder colony - comprised of 7 medium sized fish, was moved to another tank - rather than moving the eggs. None of the eggs were attacked by fungus. Within 72 hours, all of the eggs hatched. The fry at birth were 2.5mm and they huddled together in the corner of the tank where the water current was strongest. Within 48 hours they were able to consume premoistened powdered flake food and within 4 days they readily consumed bbs. No fry were lost during the first 4 days, which is extremely unusual in Cory spawnings.

The breeder colony, after 3 days in their new tank, proceeded to spawn again. After a day - to be sure that they were done, they were moved again. Another 60 or so eggs were observed. After 4 days in the new tank, they spawned for the 3rd time with about 40 and after 4 days in their 4th tank - they spawned for the 4th time, depositing 30-40 eggs across the bottom of the tank.

We are proud to report that all 4 spawns have successfully hatched and all the fry are doing well. The first batch of fry are now 21 days old and the 4th batch are around 4 days old. The fry are very unusual in size, shape and activity - compared to other Cory species I have spawned. They are almost the same size as a C. paleatus at the same age, but they are half-height. Additionally, they never stop moving and because of the shape and locomotion, they appear as baby lobsters that scurry across the bottom in a "walking" as opposed to swimming action.

This is a beautiful species of Cory and I hope that the fry live to maturity and that I will be able to introduce this fish in limited quantities into the hobby, for Cory collectors and aquarium hobbyists, alike. - Frank/Guppyman

Very awesome! I'd love to hear more information as the colony grows towards full adult size.

Aawww, never seen a fry up close..they always look like bubbles with a stick attached or tadpoles...
its..its...a wittle fishy!!!

And kudos to you for making your guestst so comfortable they made themselves at home!!!

Frank! A huge congrats to you, that is soooo awesome. The pix are amazing, too! More more more please :D

Did you hire more people, with all the goings-on with the cories? And how are the guppies? And Baby?

Howdy!

myriam said:
Did you hire more people, with all the goings-on with the cories? And how are the guppies? And Baby?
Hi Myriam. Thanks. Things are great w/the g*ppies. Every tank is loaded with fish. There are thousands of Corys. Baby is doing well - chasing deer, digging up the yard and eating everything in sight. She sends her regards. :) - Frank/Guppyman

Congrats Frank; thats awesome! Talk about being in the right place and the right time for something this fortuitous to happen, and then having the skills to actually take that luck further :)

LOL And erm, I just got back from the eye drs. She dilated my pupils, so ita a bit tough for me to read the posts. I initially thought you meant the fry were chasing deer and diggin up the yard LOL

Congratulations! This is truly a superlative event!

Put me on your list when you are ready to share :wink:

Oh, and Alli - I first thought the fry were digging up the yard, too - now those are some hardy fry!! :D

Congrats! Maybe someday I will have some grandbaby coryies that started from your spawn! :) How far does your distrubution span?

Congratulations! I hope you are going to receive some kind of official recognition for this great accomplishment!

Back
Top Bottom