First Ever Betta :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have noticed a lot of bettas in poor condition at my local petco. You got such a beautiful little guy...I'm thinking about going in and trying to find my "betta soulmate". :)

I appreciate all the compliments, but sadly I am currently dealing with an unknown illness or something of the like that has affected Dagger. He suffered what looked like a violent seizure and instantly lost color in his throat and belly, and proceed to sink to the bottom of the tank in a locked position with his spine curled. I have him floating in the tank in a small Tupperware container and today he seems a little better, although his fins are shredded now and I'm not sure how that happened although he was obviously very stressed. I'm just keeping a close eye on him and hoping he either gets better or shows some kind of symptom that may give us a bigger clue as to what is wrong with him. All the tank parameters are fine so I'm not sure what is going on. Wish us luck, I really hope this misfortune passes and he returns to being my gorgeous, grumpy little betta.

NekoOo said:
I appreciate all the compliments, but sadly I am currently dealing with an unknown illness or something of the like that has affected Dagger. He suffered what looked like a violent seizure and instantly lost color in his throat and belly, and proceed to sink to the bottom of the tank in a locked position with his spine curled. I have him floating in the tank in a small Tupperware container and today he seems a little better, although his fins are shredded now and I'm not sure how that happened although he was obviously very stressed. I'm just keeping a close eye on him and hoping he either gets better or shows some kind of symptom that may give us a bigger clue as to what is wrong with him. All the tank parameters are fine so I'm not sure what is going on. Wish us luck, I really hope this misfortune passes and he returns to being my gorgeous, grumpy little betta.

Hope he does alright idk what that is good luck to you

Somthing similar happened when I got my Betta there were more active ones but Genghis looked so sad. Had to take him home!

Dagger is a lovely looking fish :) love the pic of him behind the plants. I always struggle to get pics of mine, he's too active!

All I have is fungus guard tablets. I did 2 pwc's and just gave him some time. He survived a second night and seems much better today, although it worries me that he flares so often at his reflection. I need more silk pants so I can try and obscure his reflection along the sides and back. Still hoping for the best. Thanks all

NekoOo said:

Oh I hope he gets better soon! Lots of clean water is the best medicine for most Betta issues in my experience. Fingers crossed!

I'm not exactly an expert but maybe got sucked into the filter by accident? Happened to one of my guppies before. Sadly, it couldn't pry itself free.

He is doing really well after a third night! He has his appetite back although he isn't quite 100% better as he is still acting more calm and slow than he usually does. These pics were taken right when the lights were turned on and he's always grumpy and flaring. His fins are so torn in comparison to when I got him -cry- but I'm hoping it all heals.

On another note, I'm not sure whether I like dark or light sand. The black sand sticks to the silk plants and makes everything look dirty. And the white sand I use in my 55 is currently turning green on the surface from algae. Do cories eat algae? I was thinking I might complete my stocking with a group of them.

Attachments

• image-2199280932.jpg
    image-2199280932.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1130565420.jpg
    image-1130565420.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 51
NekoOo said:
He is doing really well after a third night! He has his appetite back although he isn't quite 100% better as he is still acting more calm and slow than he usually does. These pics were taken right when the lights were turned on and he's always grumpy and flaring. His fins are so torn in comparison to when I got him -cry- but I'm hoping it all heals.

On another note, I'm not sure whether I like dark or light sand. The black sand sticks to the silk plants and makes everything look dirty. And the white sand I use in my 55 is currently turning green on the surface from algae. Do cories eat algae? I was thinking I might complete my stocking with a group of them.

Glad to hear hes doing better my bettas tail is battered too but from the wrong kindve tank mates i put in there i removed them now hes doin better

NekoOo said:

Cory cats don't eat algae. Either vacuum it up or get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They will turn over your sand.

Tetra1990 said:
Cory cats don't eat algae. Either vacuum it up or get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They will turn over your sand.

Malaysian trumpet snails it is then!! Still want some cories, or a peacock eel. My tank is 55 gal with Australian rainbows, 2 angels and a school of rasboras. I would either choose one or the other, eel or a school or cories. I think cory cats will work with angels but I'm not sure about the eel.

NekoOo said:
Malaysian trumpet snails it is then!! Still want some cories, or a peacock eel. My tank is 55 gal with Australian rainbows, 2 angels and a school of rasboras. I would either choose one or the other, eel or a school or cories. I think cory cats will work with angels but I'm not sure about the eel.

I'm going to add something else, sorry, like I said before, Cory cats don't eat algae, but they do also keep the sand turned over. And with the mts, do not overfeed, they will multiply like rabbits.

Allinthegame83 said:
Glad to hear he is doing Betta. Mine made his first bubble nest today :)

Yeah, one of
Mine made his first to

Attachments

• image-332687576.jpg
    image-332687576.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image-3962294124.jpg
    image-3962294124.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom