Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First feeding of brine shrimp - now tank smells!

Hope someone can help me.... I've gone through 28 days to complete my fishless cycle on an Eclipse System 6 tank. Today I finally got 2 fancy guppies and 1 bamboo shrimp. Spent a long time today aclimating slowly to my water, etc.

I decided to give them a "treat" of frozen brine shrimp today - as kind of an "anti-stress" Also, the LFS where I got them fed all their fancy guppies brine shrimp and blood worms.

Now about 4 hours after feeding the brine shrimp - my tank has developed a SMELL. It's bad, but not absolutely horrible. But fishy, and not in a good way. Plus, leftover brine shrimp got sucked up the intake and are now stuck on the top of the carbon filter.

How do I get rid of this smell? My tank is in my cube at the office, and I need to not be offensive to my cube mates.

Please help if you can....

Old 09-26-2004, 12:55 AM   #2

change the water? I hate the smell too. What I hate about frozen foods is that they leave lots of residue.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

There must be leftover food in the tank creating the smell, and a good gravel vac is in order.

I think frozen brine shrimp might be a bit much for those guppies, because their mouths are small. Next time try a tiny quantity of frozen bloodworms, but I find that a good quality flake as a staple diet is most appreciated by guppies, just because of their small size.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you might overfeed the fish. Water change will help.

Tags
brine shrimp, feeding, rim, shrimp, smell, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com