First fish w/ some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briballdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so i got a upsidedown catfish as my first fish inside my eclipse 3 gallon tank. I really love this tank because it looks so nice and i love its size.

anywho.. i got this fake rock and some fake plants from my pet shop with the tank and the light that goes with the tank. when i turn it on... he pretty much hides under this rock... i feel really bad because it totally seems like he hates the light. i know this is probably normal for a catfish but what should i do?

i really like the look of the light but hate having a sad fish. should i keep the light off or leave it on and hope he gets used to it?

also, i know 3 gallons is super small and all, but i was looking to another fish. anyone have any good ideas for fish.. preferably fish that dont hide under stuff all day :p. also, i kinda want small fish so theres enough room for everyone.

lastly, are there anyother good tanks like the eclipse that arent too expensive but have enough room for more fish comfortably? can someone hit me up with a link?

thanks so much!

i

I would ditch the upside-down catfish. I have on in my 30g long tank and he is around 2.5", way too big for a 3 gal tank. Also, upside-down catfish are nocturnal, they sleep during the day (and hide), and move about at night.

I would consider returning the catfish and getting something smaller, maybe a few tetras, or a betta by itself.

Walmart sells a 10gallon "deluxe" kit that comes with everything you need except decor, gravel, and fish. I started with that many years ago. Original heater, filter and hood still work perfectly. I think the kit cost $99, everything for mine was about $130.

I agree, that isn't the right fish for your tank. That fish will get too big.

I would suggest that you return the upside down catfish and get something more in line with the size tank you have. A couple of platties, a molly, a betta, a couple tetras... something of that nature.

Like meegosh said, the upside down catfish is hiding because he is nocternal and sleeps during the day.

oh thanks guys.

i wish i found this forum before i got this tank/fish :[

just another random question.. does anyone graphics go really crazy on this site? i swear everytime im here my graphics get messed up and i have to restart. weird..

oh yeah. instead of returning the fish.. do u think i could just get the $100 kit, use all my stuff that i already have in it, and sell/try to return my 3 gallon? just in case... what kind of fish would be nice for a 10g?

thanks!

Mollies and corry catfish are small and entertaining.
Ghost shrimp are interesting and will breed easy.

Goldfish get to big to fast, as do common plecos.

Ghost shrimp won't breed actually... most species sold as 'ghost shrimp' require brackish water to breed.

I have a betta, tetras, and cories in my 8 gallon; however in a 3 gallon you're really pretty limited to, say, a betta.

Read up on cycling ASAP and make sure you get a test kit as well (the API Master Freshwater Test Kit is a good one).

:)

Back
Top Bottom