First Ich Outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I guess it is probably a rite of passage.... I am in the midst of my first ich outbreak in my 20g extra high planted tank. Given most of the residents are tetras I did a little less than half a dose of Nox-Ich which I happened to have on hand.... unfortunately, I also have Amano shrimp in the tank. Did I just kill my shrimp with the malachite green in the Nox-Ich?

I do not think I can raise the temp since it is an extra high and I don't want oxygenation issues.... and don't want to lose all of my plants.... what are my options at this point? The Ember Tetras all have it... they are swimming around just fine and seem happy.... just covered in white spots. The Neons show no signs as yet. It is heavily planted enough that netting fish to take them out is a near impossibility, so I need to treat the tank.

I have a UV sterilizer hooked up and running now. Help!

Put 3 or 4 cloves of garlic in the tank raise the temperature to 81. This some how makes it so the fish can run the ich cycle.look it up on you tube ..I didn't believe it till I tried it myself

Look it up on you tube it will give better details of how it works. They also make a garlic additive but I think its for saltwater tanks

Well, I read just enough about the garlic method to know that they don't know if it works.

In the meantime, I also read that doing between 1/4 and 1/2 dose of the Nox-Ich should treat while not also killing anything, so that is the route I am trying at the moment.

Follow directions and treat till 5-7 days after you see last spot.
The meds will not kill the ich until it falls from the fish..
Vacuuming is very helpful as the ichs fall to substrate ,but may be tough with plants and all so stay vigilant with the meds...

Their is NO proof that garlic cures anything in fish...

Back
Top Bottom