First Post and many thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flickted

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all I am glad to have found this forum.. It saved me alot of grief.

I was given a 50g hex tank in the beginning of October, my first setup. I made a few bad choices in the start do to bad advice.. I set the tank up the day i picked it up and then went fish shopping (did not research on the web till after the fact). So I encountered a little grief with fish loss (2 or so).

When i found this forum I did alot of reading and did a fish cycle with little problems and loss. I did battle with Ich and lost a bala shark and a platy. I used the heat and salt method and worked like a charm.

So all has been running smooth for a month now.

A little about my setup.

50G hex
Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200b
300w heater
plastic plants
resin cave
DIY Python (thanks to the Diy section)
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master test kit

Stock:
6 platys 4f/2m
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Blue Gourami
3 Clown Loaches
1 Common Pleco

All get along well, with just a bit of nipping at feeding time.

Soon to upgrade to a new tank 100g or so and get rid of the hex. It is a pain to clean and of course my new family members will grow.

Once again thanks to all that post all the useful info

img_739817_0_55bf1d1324a13e0b390e5bab71f07539.jpg

img_739817_1_c1ae906950cca78b5e6573ab2ad5b688.jpg

img_739817_2_e1632c1634c233a1dea16630b09c009c.jpg

The Guards
img_739817_3_127d93bc979c13153c9446019429f214.jpg

Hi- welcome to aquarium advice! Your tank looks very nice- the cats should be disciplined for dereliction of guard duty :)!

welcome to the world of fish keeping and the forum, its a great hobby adn this iste is full of information and people who offer nothing but great advice and friendship. Enjoy and have fun, theres some great articles in the articles section you may enjoy also :)

Nice setup, congrats!

I would throw your thermometer inside your filter, you can't see it and it will still keep an accurate temp. I got that tip from one of my older brothers.

I have the exact tank you have, at least it looks like it. I have a Penquin 170 biowheel and also use a Magnum 350 canister filter. It is overkill, but like I've said before, it is my family's tradition to "over" filtrate...

I will take some pics to show you my setup!

Good luck!

thermometer, is fine I seen it in picture also and thought it was reflection.. suction cup just came undone.

I forgot to mention I love your cats, I have 8 myself, all around 17 pounds except for the oldest we call " bones " lol she's only like 7 pounds lol

Welcome! I'm glad you've found it helpful so far. You've probably been spared a lot of headache and frustration. You're certainly way ahead of most people who start out with fish.

Might I suggest live plants in your new tank? :)

Mosaic said:
Welcome! I'm glad you've found it helpful so far. You've probably been spared a lot of headache and frustration. You're certainly way ahead of most people who start out with fish.

Might I suggest live plants in your new tank? :)
That is my next step, I am just working with what i was given for now. Need to make sure it will be a hobby to keep me interested.

I have already started a little research on plants :)

That's such a great pic... It's so funny two cats are piled into a bed that's probably just big enough for one. :D 17 lbs! Makes me feel not so bad about my 15 lb potatoe sack. *evil*

Nice veggie clip by the way, I had to look twice to tell if it was swimming.

Back
Top Bottom