First Post - Stocking 55G Semi aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K3vin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've used this site a good bit for research to stock my 55 long and here's what I've come up with and why.

- 3 Platys 3" ea.
- 7 Tiger Barb 2.7" ea.
- 3 Golden Dojo Loaches 10" ea.
- 1 Rainbow Shark 5"

62.9" fish TOTAL

I've heard that a 55 long can support up to 75" in you are careful and do weekly water changes. So I might add a algea eating pleco of some sort down the road. I have used the 1" per Gallon rule s a starting point so please don't harp on it XD

HARDY fish is a must. I am in college right now and will set up the tank this Aug. when I move into my college dorm or appt. The fish would get about 5 months to get familiar but I'd have to move them at least 4 times a year for the first year.

I chose these fish because I wanted a good mix of high, and bottom swimmers plus a school. I figured the loaches would mix well with anything and the school of tiger barbs would either get along with the platys and rainbow or I'd rearrange the tank at night and return any repeat trouble makers.

Are these fish compatible and hardy enough for the movement?
Is there enough space in a 55 long for these and maybe an algea eating pleco (that stays under 10" so no common)?

The tank right now is a riverbed look, so driftwood and rocks plus light brown gravel. The gravel is bigger and not rounded so I might switch to a black smaller or rounded gravel if the loaches need it. Plus black brings out the color.

No Plants yet mainly because I'm on a low budget but I'll definitely get a T5 HO 2 bulb set up with flourite substrate when I can afford it. I'd like to do some Java moss carpet in the front and a couple plants in the back and corners. Not heavily planted: I'd never do CO2 injected or enough plants to require it.

I have a hood and I'm building a Canopy Hood myself this week I think that about covers it. 76 temp and yeah.

Comments, suggestions and help all appreciated!! :D

This sounds like a good setup. For the pleco I would advise a bristle nose pleco.

Rule 1! Very useful.. I've had LFS try and convince me I need a Fire eel in my 55G, same people tried to tell me a razorback musk is fully aquatic and compatible with fish lol
---
Thanks and is there any reason to buy common fish such as plattys at an aquarium store as opposed to Petco or Petsmart? and is there much difference between petsmart and petco? I've been to 5 local petsmarts and 3 aquatic stores but petco seem to be hard to find in metro Atlanta.

IMO you should throw the inch thing out the window.

Now, you could keep many more fish in your tank, like serpae tetras. A school of ten would be nice. They are semi agressive like the Tiger Barbs. You could do 10 tiger barbs, also.

That's some interesting advise. I've heard of people stocking to the brim, but I'd imagine you can overload the tank no? I have an emperor 400 double bio wheel filter (Good to 90G). How many inches would u say before once a week filter change isn't enough? Or overcrowding becomes a problem?

That's some interesting advise. I've heard of people stocking to the brim, but I'd imagine you can overload the tank no? I have an emperor 400 double bio wheel filter (Good to 90G). How many inches would u say before once a week filter change isn't enough? Or overcrowding becomes a problem?

You can overstock. I usually overstock a bit. BUT the fish need enough swimming room. Depends on the behavior, bio-load, activity level, and swimming level of said fish.

Most aquatic stores hire people who know or specialize in fish keeping.

That hasn't been my experience.

Mine is people are hired with no experience and instructions to try and squish as many fish into any tank as possible.

That hasn't been my experience.

Mine is people are hired with no experience and instructions to try and squish as many fish into any tank as possible.

Mine has been aquatic people just trying to sell you a fish and they either know and don't care that that fish will not fit in your tank or they don't know. I believe the first considering how much they know about each fish when you talk to them. I've had one Exotic pet store owner talk up her $50 razor back musks by saying they're community tank friendly, fully aquatic, and I quote "she has one in her tank at home". Then I do the research and it's not true.

Back
Top Bottom