First PWC (questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay so im going to do anywhere in the vacinity of 20% - 50% of my 55gal as a PWC.. this will be my first PWC since ive had this tank (which hasnt been long at all) right now all i have is a pitcher and a 5 gal bucket.. my powerhead is in the mail, and Ill get a gravel vac when I get to it..

so once i removed this water, its time to add new water.. should I treat the water before putting it in or can I just add the water, then treat it? I have aquasafe which removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals from the water. also about temperature, should I just try to keep it as close to my tank temp as possible? I have a little thermometer that will measure the water coming from the tap on the spot.. so for me a few buckets of tap water, add the stuff good to go?

thanks!

Drop the treatment into the water and then add the water. A hand match for temperature will be fine.

i guess adding the treatment first would be wise, mixes it as the new water is added much like adding hot coco before the hot water right?

You say that right now all you have is the bucket and a pitcher. I assume that means you have plans to purchase a python? You are going to *love* water changes after you get one! Good luck with that bucket...

You can add the dechlor before, during, or after adding the water. Either way, doesn't hurt anything. I usually do mine either during or after.

eah said:
You say that right now all you have is the bucket and a pitcher. I assume that means you have plans to purchase a python? You are going to *love* water changes after you get one! Good luck with that bucket...

yeah I dont have the money for one... and dont they hook up to your sink for some reason? I would need like a 20' long hose to reach to the sink.. I imagine something like that is pretty pricy..

they aren't too bad i paid 40 bucks for one tht is 25 feet long and considering the time u save it is a very good investment

I'm proud to say I can now feel a perfect 78 degrees by hand! lolI just use my hand to feel how hot or cold the wate coming out is, yo can use your handheld if you want, its what you prefer. your pitcher and bucket will work fine, if you want to make life a littl easier on you I suggest you save back about 8 milk jugs for tank refills. Wash them out real good and set them aside. I liek using milk jugs for a few reasons, there alot easier to lug around than a 5 gallon bucket, when treating your water with a dechlorinator its easier tot reat in small quanities, and its easier on the tank and yoru back! lol holding up a 5 gallon bucket full of water and then trying to pour it slowly so it doesn't mes sup the substrate is a steian on anyone, with the jugs you can pour with one hand and hold a smal suacer plate with the other so you don't mes sup your plants or gravel.

Python lengths start at 25' so you'd be buying the smallest one available. Trust me, once you get one you won't be able to imagine doing water changes any other way. If we didn't have one we would have to lug approximately 125 gal of water. That wasn't happening. :) Python is the easiest form of water change.

*sigh* gotta ask the wife if I can spend 25 on it heh.. somebody has one on ebay and told me she'd sell it to me for $20+ s&h.. its brand new so i might do that.

How much is shipping? You may be able to get it cheaper by printing off the PetsMart site lsiting and taking it to their store to price match.

Fishyfanatic said:
How much is shipping? You may be able to get it cheaper by printing off the PetsMart site lsiting and taking it to their store to price match.

That'd be nice...but the local petsmart is still being built, literally...it has walls but thats about it.

yeah mike is right, we are in the same city, petsmart isnt quite finished yet.. and I dont think my tank can wait for them haha.. all the LFS here are too expensive or wouldnt carry it..

would be nice to find one online for 25 free shipping

I went about 3 years doing the bucket and pitcher method of water changes and I dreaded doing it everytime it was due. I finally bought a Python and I haven't put off a water change since! It really changes the whole experience and makes it much more enjoyable. Spend the money and don't wait!

Yeti said:
would be nice to find one online for 25 free shipping

If there are others things you need besides the Python, then just go to Petsmart.com and purchase it. If you spend 50 bucks or more the shipping is free.

thanks killing, luckily they are in the process of building a petsmart here so I can just pick it up

Back
Top Bottom