First snail!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I discovered a little snail this morning, when I went to take a picture it had disappeared!! One question though are they good or bad news??
Will they help with my alge issues lol

They're usually a result from overfeeding. It's probably a pond or ramshorm snail.

They aren't necessarily bad but they can quickly reproduce and you'll have a lot of them.

If you wanna get rid of them just cut down on feeding

The first of many, I have 4 assassin snails which helps to keep my Ramshorn's down but they reproduce at an amazing rate!!

I was thinking of getting an assassin snail as I have spotted a couple more but they move so fast!! Will they be ok for food once all the snails have gone??

maestromad said:
I was thinking of getting an assassin snail as I have spotted a couple more but they move so fast!! Will they be ok for food once all the snails have gone??

As I was told earlier last week, they can be fed on algae wafers.

I love my assassin, even though I've had him for 6 hours lol :)

Seems to love my mini filter tho :/

Attachments

• image-2071533355.jpg
    image-2071533355.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 53
Excellent, I think I may be in investing in one soon although I can't see them I know they are in there!! Lol

They will reproduce like crazy, but they will completely clean your tank. You could get a fish that eats them also to keep them under control.

I actually don't mind having snails in my tanks. And they can help with algae a bit. They usually come in on new plants and overfeeding does allow them to survive.

Not too long ago we acquired some F8 puffers, so now we are trying to get snails to reproduce to feed to the puffers (in a different tank of course).

Most snails require two to reproduce, but if you have 1 you likely have a few.

I meant the assassin I'm happy to get one but don't like snails as a rule so wouldn't wantro move one prob and and up with another!

I have 4 assassins in a 10gall tank and still get a few snails, make sure you don't overfeed fish as this promotes more snail activity.
The assassin snails will feed on food thats not been eaten
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom