Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First Thread - How is my stocking so far?

Hello all,

I joined this forum in February, 2014 to search around and get advice on my new hobby! This is the first time I have actually posted! Yeah!

I purchased a SeaClear System II 36 gallon tank in mid March. Got it set up and thanks to Aquarium Advice Forum members, was successful in completing a "fishless nitrogen cycle"! Work exactly like it was described here on AA!

Anyway, the cycle was complete around the first of April, with ammonia and nitrites showing 0 ppm every morning and nitrates around 40ppm.

A partial water change and I began stocking!

So far I have 6 bloodfin tetra's, 2 black skirt tetra's, 2 angels (spp.), and 2 pearl gourami's. Total of 12 fish.

I am wanting to add a few more, but hope you folks can help me out with the species. What do you suggest?

BTW, I have planted a few plants purchased from PETCO, not quite sure what they are. Two appear to be swords, but I am not sure. They seem to be growing OK, but I don't have very intensive lighting. Just a 17w Flouromax (?) T8 24" tube. I have been adding some Flourish excel for carbon and placing root tabs in the gravel every other week.

That reminds me, my substrate is 2 1/2" of fine gravel and 1" of course gravel.

Any other suggestions of medium light plant species that might do well?

Finally, one last question. If anyone has added extra light to the standard fixture that comes with the SeaClear System II, please give me some advice on how you did it. I don't have a lot of room for custom lights, as this is a built in wall tank with access from the closet in the adjoining bedroom. I will post pictures!

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Personally I probably wouldn't add anymore fish. Angels get pretty big and from what I remember the Gourami get pretty big as well. This is really all up to you in the end. You know your tank and the parameters of it better than I do. One thing you can do to keep your levels more in check is to heavily plant it. Even low light plants will help.

What kind of filter are you running on the tank?

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com