First time testing with a Mini Master Kit...Good results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
These are the results I got:

pH ~ 7.6
(My tap water tests at 8.6)

NH3/NH4 ~ >0.6 but <0
(The book said it was testing for both NH3 and NH4, I assume these are similiar things?

NO2 ~ >0.1
(I'd almost call it a 0 other then there was a hint of color to the water)

GH ~ 140 ppm

KH 60-70 ppm
(the water turned lime color at six drops but turned completely yellow at seven drops.

So, how did my tank test? Not, this was after a 25% PWC and changing one the sponge filter and putting in a new carbon bag into my HOB filter. (Reason for carbon bag was due to ich treatment with chemicals. Also, I ran into problems when I changed my filters. Read other thread started by me labeled "Proper way of changing filters?")

They aren't bad, but still not what a cycled tank should read (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a reading of nitrate).

If this was just after a water change however, try testing again atleast a few hours after the water change and see if your results change. Sometimes testing directly after a water change won't give you correct results.

Okay. Question though, is my kit testing for Nitrate? If so, which one so I know for future reference?

Also, my ammonia test goes from 0 to .6 so, it could be closer to 0.

I'll go test now and see what my results are at. As I did the PWC last night.

Doesn't seem your kit is testing for nitrate no. For some reason most master kits don't come with a nitrate kit...

NH3/NH4 is ammonia.
NO2 is nitrite.
NO3 is nitrate.

A nitrate kit is good to have but honestly just keeping up with water changes will keep your NO3 in check (generally you want to keep it at 40 or below, but 20 is a more optimal number).

Ammonia kits are sometimes hard to read as well, it could very well be 0, but I'd still check again in a few hours and see if anything changes.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master kit for freshwater has a NO3 test in it. Also tests NH3 & NO2. I agree with waiting a while after water changes to test. I wait a minumum of 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom