First time with Sand, need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucas82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going with TMS to start my new 55 gallon tank. This tank will be for my new cichlid tank which consists of 12 various cichlids, one cory cat, and one plecostomus. My main concerns are how to wash the sand. I live on the 2nd floor of a condo complex so I have no access to a spray hose. I was going to fill my 5 gallon bucket about a 1/3 of the way with sand, fill the rest with water, stir it up and dispose of water until it is clean, then move the cleaned sand to a 5 gallon bucket lined with a trash bag. If anyone has better suggestions please feel free to reply.

I bought 5 lb bags, and cut each top corner. I put 1 corner under the bathtub faucet and then turned it in. The water went down through an out the other end. No sand fell out. Then when the water was clear I was done

An old pillowcase- put the sand in and use a shower head or run it under the tap, swish it round with your hand. Worked great for mine :)

I put 55lbs of sand into my 50gallon tank.
I bought 2 5gallon buckets, 1/2-filled each bucket with sand, and put them in the bathtub.
Fill each up with water, let sit for 60 seconds.
Then swirl the water with your hand slowly for 30 seconds, not quite touching the sand. This will pick up the small particles while leaving most of the sand below.
Then slowly pour out the water into the tub drain.
Refill with water and repeat until everything settles within a few seconds. I did mine about 15 times per bucket, and my water was clear from the minute I filled the tank.

Your original method was fine, you have to stir all of the sand while doing this or it will not all rinse. Also, you will have diatoms for a few weeks but they will go away on their own.

Back
Top Bottom