First timer need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmon88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey
I have recently set up my first aquarium. Started off small with a 5 gallon tank. It has cycled and I have two goldfish in it now (wanted something colourful for my daughter and easy to keep)

I have noticed that the fish appear to be gasping abit today and sticking around the part of the tank that the filter allows water back in. I was wondering if this could be a lack of oxygen in the water, I recently cleaned the tank and changed about 30% of the water. I was wondering if planting my tank with real plants instead of fake may help, if so which ones would be good and easy to keep for a first timer? Any other advise would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site!
How did you cycle the tank? Gasping can be signs of ammonia poisoning. Do you own a test kit? What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate ans pH of the tank? Contrary to popular belief goldfish are not suited for small tanks. They are very messy fish that produce large amounts of ammonia. One fancy goldfish require a 20g tank and one pond goldfish (single tail) requires a 50g tank or a pond to live in.
Here is the beginners guide for you to have a read through.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
I would start off with a couple of back to back 50% water changes to help remove some toxins.

Well, first off welcome to the forum! Lots great advice here!

Now to the tank.. 5 gallons is waaaaaaay too small for 2 goldfish. If they are fancy goldfish, the general rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an additional 10 gallon for the 2nd.

Are you testing your water parameters?

How long did you let the tank cycle?

You need to upgrade your tank ASAP, or things will get worse.. The best remedy for now is daily water changes. The problem is that goldfish produce so much waste. You need a larger tank for it to stabilize. If a larger tank is not an option, I would return the fish to the LFS, and get some neons or something much smaller.

Welcome to AA!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have to mention it to you. A 5G is far too small for goldfish. Even a single goldfish of ANY variety. There are plenty of fish that can thrive in a tank that size though. How did you cycle? That behavior sounds like they could be reacting to nitrite &/or ammonia.

Happy you found us. :)

Since your daughter wants something colorful and easy to take care of id consider getting a betta
They vary in color so she can choose one she wants
And their pretty easy to keep, with of course keeping only one male in the tank

Reactions: HN1
Form what you have all said it appears that I have been given some bad advise. I was told to let the tank cycle for two weeks and then add fish. I went off the inch rule when I got the goldfish as they are about two inches each I th

Sorry to welcome you with bad news! I followed pretty much that exact advice years ago and had several koi in a 5G tank. The troubles I had (I bought so much useless stuff on their advice too) lead me to the forums. There are a lot of perpetuated myths and misunderstandings in the hobby. Most of the chain store employees (certainly not all) are under-trained and underpaid so the advice they give is usually what portion of their brief introduction they can remember at the time. They typically don't mean harm, they just cause it because they know no better.

Dmon88 said:
Form what you have all said it appears that I have been given some bad advise. I was told to let the tank cycle for two weeks and then add fish. I went off the inch rule when I got the goldfish as they are about two inches each I th

Unfortunately they do tend to give bad advice especially with goldfish
Theirs a lot of ways to cycle I'm sure someone can provide the link on cycling
And the inch rule isn't really reliable any more
I'd return the goldfish and get a Betta or have a shrimp tank

The inch rule is for adult size. Adult Comet Goldfish are a foot or more. Fancies are 6-8" and you double the rule for goldfish. 2 gallons per inch.

Easy way is 20g first Goldfish and at least 10-20g for additional GF. As babies. Comets need ponds.

Hope you can keep fish alive till you return them.
Live and Learn.

Back
Top Bottom