first water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi there, i have just done my first water change on my 65 gallon tank. i was loosing fish and was told to start up water changes. i did a 7 to 10% water change. is that a resionable amount to change for the first time? should i increase the amount?

hi there, i have just done my first water change on my 65 gallon tank. i was loosing fish and was told to start up water changes. i did a 7 to 10% water change. is that a resionable amount to change for the first time? should i increase the amount?

I am going to say a while. What are you water params? They will tell you if your water change will suffice.

I agree with the last poster...do you have a test kit? Can you tell us what the readings are for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? How many fish are in your tank and how long has it been set up?

My guess is that you are still cycling in which case you should do more water changes, probably daily or twice daily until you are done with the cycle. (A month or so) Give us some more information and we can help you through it ;)

Good rule of fin on water changes is 20% either twice a week or once a week. Change the filter about 3 to 4 weeks and don't overfeed your critters give them what they can eat within 3 mintues. Get a test kit it's well worth the money spent.
Tank cycling can be rough the first time out and the kit will help out a lot. There are also product that will help culture the beneficial bacteria. If it's a community tank you can throw a few cory's into the tank and they keep things pretty clean as well.

I do 30- 40% once a week on my tanks, sometimes more or less, depending on parameteres. As posted above, parameters are a big help in deciding how much and how often you should change your water. IMO you need to change half the water out of your tank at least since you more than likely have high ammonia and nitrites, most likely nitrates as well.

Actually its better to rinse them with tank water while doing pwcs. If you change them, you'll lose some of the good bacteria located on them. Best to only change them when they start breaking down.

+1. The changing schedule is mostly so manufacterers make more money. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter pad, so make sure you rinse it in old tank water after water changes.

Seems like I remember a thread you started in regards to water changes a while back... if thats the case, then i would suggest small water changes every day or every other day, since the tank has not had a water change in a very long time.

MFD is correct. This tank has been running for... I don't remember how long without water changes. It has been running so long that it definitely is cycled though. Basically, what was recommended is that zach start very small and work his way up in water changes since a large amount would shock the system and the fish. I would think that 7 - 10% would be a good start. Do this a few times over the course of a couple weeks and then go 10 - 15% for a few weeks and then get back up into the 20 - 30 range in the end. Watch the fish closely and if they start acting odd, take it slower. I think they will welcome some fresh water and less toxins though. Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks, the tank has beenset up for 4 months now, and i lost a few fish. i was a bit confused as my fish would never die no matter what. so i left the tank to do its work, no water changes, no testing, just cleaned off the algea and called it a day. after a few losses, i decided to post a thread on here and i was told to start water changes small and slowly move larger. i am currently looking for a test kit, but i rarly go into the closest city to where i live, so i will try and get it soon. for fish in the tank, it may sound over stocked but they are all still small.
1 albino rainbow shark
2 bala sharks (very small)
1 raph cat
1 pictus cat
4 serpae tetra
2 emperor tetra
2 clown loaches(very small)
7 bloofin tetra,
2 black shirt tetra.

You can order it online if you have a debit card, it would be easier than having to drive anywhere far and like I said, I think it is only 1$ for shipping. I know my walmart doesnt carry it in store so if you do go you might want to check and make sure they have it first. That site also has a site to store thing.

Back
Top Bottom