First Water Change - Lots Of Bubbles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just did my first water change. I syphoned out about 1/2 of the water in my 5.5 gallon tank. I took out my filter, and cleaned it as well. I then put in Poland Spring water to refill the tank, and put in my water treatment (2.5ml). Since I am done, I finished up and there are a million bubbles on top of the tank except for where my bubble wall shoot bubbles up. Is this normal? Is there something I need to do?

It could be from chlorine gassing off (caused by adding the water treatment to the tank instead of first to the new water), but I doubt it, since spring water should contain no chlorine, so its likely due to the spring water being cooler than the tank water and as it warmed, losing dissolved oxygen, which collected on the aquarium walls (same process by which bubbles appear in a glass of cold water left to warm to room temperature). No big deal, no harm.

I was thinking along these same lines Tortis. I didn't think it could be the spring water or the water treatment.

When the temp. is right I often just add water from the garden hose through a spray nozzle. I get bubbles and they go away quite quickly. (pic of what I do in my gallery). Mine are caused by the off-gassing due to aggitation by the nozzle.
I forgot that cold water can off-gas like that.

I doubt its the water treatment (which isn't even necessary since you used bottled water BTW)

It's most likely trapped gas from dumping in the water. All the surface turbulence pushed more air into the water, and it collects on things.
Totally normal.

basically if you have a de-chlorinator there is no need to spend the extra money for bottled water. this is what i do, take a empty 1 gal. plastic milk jug and rinse rinse rinse with hot water, then a bit with warm water.....put water in the jug approx. the temp of the aquarium, add the recommended dose of de-chlorinator for 1 gallon, if you have the time...let it sit for an hour to a day to help the process more, otherwise just use that to pour it in the tank and try pouring it lightly so it doesnt stir the water up as much and wahlah that should work...but of course its just a suggestion :eek:

Back
Top Bottom