First Zuchini Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I unsuccessfully fed my fish grape, and then lettuce. So I thought, let's give zuchini a try! I didn't know how to prepare it but I took a s hot. Anyway, took half a slice from Mum's raw cut up vegies for dinner, washed it and peeled off the strip of skin. Then let is sit in boliing water for a long time. Then I chopped it up and fed one piece, but it was still too big. So then I teared off little particles with my fingernails and dropped it in the water!

Everybody loved it, and they even ate the seeds. The betta loved it too and the guppy got a good go at the zuchini before the molly and gouramis got to it.

Now it is the second day and i've still got 1/3 of the half slice left to feed. Half a zuchini slice certainly goes a long way.

From now on I will be feeding zuchini once a week!

Awesome. You could try just blanching it (about a minute dunk into boiling water) and use a veggie clip to clip it inside the tank. Then the fish can graze on it all day. Then it's easy to remove the uneaten part at night. I wouldn't bother peeling it.

If you have pleco's, they will devour zuchini. Fluff is right about the veggie clips. You can pick those up at a lfs for a dollar or two. I have two in my tank, and they are currenty holding some seedless cucumber slices as we speak. (my albino bristlenose plecos just love cucumber as well)

-Stewie

You can also take a 2 to 3 inch section of a whole zuchinni and cut it in half. Rubber band it to a rock, meat side up and drop the rock in the tank. They will eat it right down to the skin and you can change it once a day.

seeds arent very good for fish, they containe cellulose which makes it hard to breakdown. (same reason you get corn in your you know what)

Back
Top Bottom