Fish acting strange.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I recently cycled my tank! It's been up and running fully cycled with fish for about a month.
30 gallon, heated and filtered.
I have 3 tiger barbs
3 green tiger barbs.
1 peacock eel.
1 nerite snail
1 ivory snail
1 blue ram cichlid
1 bristle nose albino pleco.

I just added the ram and the pleco.

But I noticed one green tiger barb seems rather FAT! And will spend a lot of time at the surface.

I checked my levels
0 ammonia,
0 nitrites
20-40 nitrates more towards 20.

What's wrong?

Is he listing to the side, or rolling back toward his tail?
What are you feeing them? Could he be constipated?
I had a head and tail light tetra that was doing that, I fed some blanched, skinned and crushed peas. He pooped a rope, and has been fine since (about 6 months). I now feed the peas weekly.

Well do to the variety of fish, I rotate food.

Every 3 days I put in some frozen bloodworms (mostly for the eel) which I only put in a little bit at time never a whole cube!

Color enchanting flake food for the barbs, that's every other day.

And an algae wafer every 3 days.

No feed every Friday, and one other day of the week.

He sometimes will kinda go sideways or backwards almost upside for a second, the. He will quickly swim back upright. He may have got a hold of more bloodworms last night than he should have. Idk if he did but he is just so fat compared to the others.

Everyone else is fine btw.

Anybody else have any ideas? I hope it's not a disease. I did a 25% water change today to be safe.

Anybody else have any ideas? I hope it's not a disease. I did a 25% water change today to be safe.

My giant gourami started out like that and it ended up being dropsy from what I read on it. He didn't make it. You might read up on that to see if that's what he has. If so, you might need to quarantene him. Sorry, I hope he gets better!

Okay, I read up on dropsy. And it sounds pretty similar! So does swim bladder infection. If by tomorrow he isn't better I might have to get rid of em. I don't have a quarantine tank, so I can't do much about that. :| I vacuumed the gravel when I did my water change today, just in case it had anything to do with bad water contaminates.

You might see if feeding him a blanched pea would help. I tried epson salt and API Lifeguard but that didn't help. I don't know if a pea would help him poop and "fix" him but someone else might know the answer.

Well, today he looked a little worse if anything. His eyes were so bugged outward and he just kinda chilled in one area of the tank. So I got rid of em.

Thanks for you help guys. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom