Fish acting weird! PLEASE HELP.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 2 platys are swimming at the top of the tank and acting weird. I tested the water yesterday and nitrates were between 20 and 40 and ammonia was 0.25. I did a water change on Thursday (I usually do water changes on Fridays). The cardinal tetras seem to be doing fine. What could be going on with my platys?

It's been in the 60's, but I have a heater in the tank and it keeps the temp at 78

What is the NitrIte level? Sometimes the tank isn't all the way cycled. When doing filter cleaning do you use tap water or throw away the filter media and replace with new ones??? Sometimes a mini cycle...? Pregnant? Hungry?

Nitrates aren't an issue it's nitrites with an I, you have to check ammonia, NITRITE (more deadly than ammonia), nitrates are the final result if the nitrogen cycle and only way to keep them at bay is to do pwc's /live plants, but nitrates aren't deadly at even 100 ppm, now please don't get nitrates and nitrites mixed up ammonia should be 0, nitrites 0 then finally nitrates I don't even worry about anymore but 10-60ppm. Do a 25%-30% water change treat the new water with prime. Did you change cartridges in the filter? Anything new?

If you replaced the cartridge, I had mentioned to you a while back not to do this you throw away your beneficial bacteria, if the cartridge needs replaced you cut the material off the old one and stick it in the filter, or better yet modify the filter with media so when you do change a cartridge the media is still there with the beneficial bacteria in it, you can get media for like $2.50-3.50 with the mesh bag all you do is rinse the media off put it in the mesh bag, secure it shut with the clip and put it in the filter in front of where the water flows back out to the tank.

I have an AquaClear filter and I always rinse the media in tank water. Last time I checked nitrites, which was almost a month ago, they were 0.

I just tried to feed them and none of them ate. The platys are still swimming/floating at the surface and the cardinal tetras are all staying together at the back bottom corner of the tank behind a plant. There is oxygen in the tank as I have my AquaClear 50 filter running at full speed and I have an air stone running. I have been without the front piece of my glass lid for a few days now, so there is only the back piece. Could that be part of the problem?

Any other changes aside from behavior? Any visible physical symptoms?

By the way, neither of my tanks have lids, and the fish are fine without them.

They do seem to swimming kind of weird, especially one of them. The tail fin kind of curves in and out while he's swimming

Right now he is on the bottom picking at the gravel like he's hungry, but I fed them and none of them are

You should always check nitrites, nitrates are the one you don't really have to worry about, nitrites are more deadly than ammonia, what's the ph?

It's had to tell, but it looks like he's not breathing at all, but he has to be cuz he's swimming.

Back
Top Bottom