Fish Advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MOzaker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

So we have a 75 Galllon tank, and alot of fish.

We have..
10 Tiger barb ,
11 Black tetras
12 Mollies (Which include 4 White, 2 dalmation),
5 Guppies,
2 Tinfoil Barb,
2 Electric yellow cichlid,
2 Blue johanni cichlid/Maingano,
2 Opaline Gourami ,
2 Comet and
1 Fantail Goldfish.

= the Small Red Eared Slider and a Rusty Crayfish (I think).

Now I realize after reading up online that alot of those dont go with each other but so far all is good and its been more than a coupe of months.
If I would have known before i would have chosen the fish myself but my father got them all so now I cant return them.

However my father talked to the Pet store guy and asked him if we can at least exchange some fishes and he said he'll tell after looking at them.

Anyways..we only have problem with the Goldfish. The Comet to be specific, they keep nibbling at other fishes. no one attacks one another but If a fish is weak, I feel like they pick on it.

My question is..If we get to exchange the goldfish. What should we get in return. Please keep in mind that iam from Saudi Arabia, we do have Pet and Aquarium shops here but not alot of variety.

:) Thank you for your time!

i would take all of those fish back, because the more time you give those tinfoil barbs, and your guppies and mollies will be history. your cichlids will become harshly aggressive and id take every single fish back and keep the cichlids, because the size of the tank is more suitable for their size, and you have already an established group of them.

MOzaker said:
Hi!

So we have a 75 Galllon tank, and alot of fish.

We have..
10 Tiger barb ,
11 Black tetras
12 Mollies (Which include 4 White, 2 dalmation),
5 Guppies,
2 Tinfoil Barb,
2 Electric yellow cichlid,
2 Blue johanni cichlid/Maingano,
2 Opaline Gourami ,
2 Comet and
1 Fantail Goldfish.

= the Small Red Eared Slider and a Rusty Crayfish (I think).

Now I realize after reading up online that alot of those dont go with each other but so far all is good and its been more than a coupe of months.
If I would have known before i would have chosen the fish myself but my father got them all so now I cant return them.

However my father talked to the Pet store guy and asked him if we can at least exchange some fishes and he said he'll tell after looking at them.

Anyways..we only have problem with the Goldfish. The Comet to be specific, they keep nibbling at other fishes. no one attacks one another but If a fish is weak, I feel like they pick on it.

My question is..If we get to exchange the goldfish. What should we get in return. Please keep in mind that iam from Saudi Arabia, we do have Pet and Aquarium shops here but not alot of variety.

:) Thank you for your time!

You have a few options there lets see

1 keep the tiger barbs tinfoil barbs and black tetras exchange the rest for other tetras barbs danios and other small schooling fish the gouramis would probably be ok too depending on your tigers aggressiveness

2 keep your cichlids and return the rest and go with an awesome cichlid tank lots of options for a 75 and get more cichlids

3 peaceful community keep your guppies mollies and gouramis return the rest and pick up other peaceful fish such as platies neons cardinals rummynose ect...

4 do a goldfish tank not comets they get massive and dirty and IMO should only be pond fish get nice fancies fantails, black moors, orandas ect...

Whatever you choose do lots of research to make sure they are compatible tank mates

For example cichlids don't mix well with any other fish they are very aggressive and will eat fish that can fit in there mouths and should have a high ph

Your goldfish are cold water fish while all the rest are tropical and require a temp of around 80 degrees

I am sure it's an honest mistake and I hope you can get this straitened out anyways best of luck and let me know which of the above you go with and I can help you stock it would be really good if you can make a list of what your fish store carries and I can really help you out

Reactions: jlk
Don't get anything in return just rehome the comet. They nip and get over a foot long way too big for your tank and tank mates. Not to mention waste. If you really want I'd trade in both goldies for more mollies or trtras

Obviously I'd recommend start over like the Above. Atleast regime goldfish if you keep tropical tsnk

Yesterday found one Tiger Barb dead in the corner of the tank..and today i found two and only the other tiger barbs were nibbling from it every now and then..they nibble each others fins sometimes..

Thank you for everyones input, still havent made up my mind..I told my father about this and he said 'Not even the Mollies can stay with the barbs?'

I think Iam gonna go with the choice in which I have to return the least of the fish..

will come back for some more questions here..:)

Thank you very much..

No problem that's what we are here for I don't know if your tank is cycled that my explain the deaths read up on the nitrogen cycle on this site or google it but if it's not cycled your gonna need to do water changes everyday until you get a test kit then do water changes whenever you see ammonia or nitrites in your tank until it shows nitrates

MOzaker said:
Yesterday found one Tiger Barb dead in the corner of the tank..and today i found two and only the other tiger barbs were nibbling from it every now and then..they nibble each others fins sometimes..

Thank you for everyones input, still havent made up my mind..I told my father about this and he said 'Not even the Mollies can stay with the barbs?'

I think Iam gonna go with the choice in which I have to return the least of the fish..

will come back for some more questions here..:)

Thank you very much..

Sounds like u need another 75!

Back
Top Bottom