fish are freaking out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed my lights today from the cheap incandescent bulbs to 10 watt fluorescent bulb so that my plants will grow better. Now my neon tetras are going nuts, they are breathing fast and kinda hiding under my plants and stuff.
Should i be worried or not.

Tess

i have two 15 watt flours on my 55 gal tank, and i have 8 neons who are alright, i'd say they arent use to that much light, make sure they have cover (plants and caves) and over time they'll just get use to it

Testing the water can't hurt just be sure nothing funny is going on...but I agree they will be fine once they get used to it.

my mollies did the same thing when i put on a light after not having one for a month or two. i would just ween them on to it, if you are worried about stressing them. start off a an hour one day, two or three the next, so on and so forth. they'll get used to it.

Yes they calm down when the light is off. I will try to slowly adjust them to it. thanks for the replies.

Tess

Maybe they're getting more light than they like to. I'd get something for shade such as rock caves or tall shady plants like Wisterias. Even Hornworts can provide some shade.

Back
Top Bottom