Fish as a part of a Healthy diet....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peteostler43614

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was talking to my wife last night and she was kinda harsh on me. I enjoy catching and eating fish in the local river and lake. I am also an avid aquariumist, with 2 tanks and many fish. My wife was saying that I am being contradictory, catching and eating fish and also keeping fish as pets. I personally see this as no problem as I have come to grips with my inner carnivore, and can see an animal as both a pet and as a food source. Mind you I would never eat my fish from my tanks, that does not change the fact that I enjoy eating fish. I am curious how many other people have a problem with this, or if anyone else has similar/ different struggles from me. I look forward to reading all your replies...
-Pete

I'm in the same position as you, being a avid angler who has zero issues with keeping and eating fish, cutting up live bluegills for cut bait, or using live minnows for bait. I think the differnce comes down to ownership, I don't have any personal attachment to the fish I catch but the ones I own and breed are a entirely different story, they become pets or part of the family so to speak. But she does have a point since the hobby of aquariums has its own level of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Yeah! I understand that. My wife does not understand why I enjoy keeping aquariums, but she sure enjoys sitting and watching my beautiful fish!

This vegetarian has no real input other than to say, "fish are friends, not food!"

Anyway, I think Hukit nailed it... The lack of personal attachment frees you to consume fish. Just like you may not eat your pet bird but chicken is still okay.

I used to eat fish a lot, but I have to say that since I got aquarium fish I have been eating fish a LOT less. I don't actually think i've eaten fish for months now, just thinking about it.

I suppose it's okay to eat and keep fish though.

The fish you catch and/or eat are not the fish you have put time and effort and money into. I have no issues eating fish, it's one of my favorite foods in fact, and I now have four aquariums with fish I love in them.

My husband and I have even been toying with the idea of setting up an aquaponics system and raising our own tilapia and veggies to eat.

Is that double or triple hypocrisy? Owning aquariums, being fine with fishing/eating fish, and raising our own to eat...

:blink::whistle:;)

When I was really little, we had a nice aquarium and two stocked ponds for fishing. I grew up caring for fish and catching and eating them. Just a few days ago I fed my tank of marbled crayfish right before sitting down to peel 3 pounds of boiled crawfish for gumbo, too. I guess it is a bit of hypocrisy but I just compartmentalize fish for keeping and fish for eating differently. Also, I breed the crays for feeders - yet I still enjoy keeping them and think of them as pets, at least the ones that are kept as breeders.

The fish you catch and/or eat are not the fish you have put time and effort and money into. I have no issues eating fish, it's one of my favorite foods in fact, and I now have four aquariums with fish I love in them.

My husband and I have even been toying with the idea of setting up an aquaponics system and raising our own tilapia and veggies to eat.

Is that double or triple hypocrisy? Owning aquariums, being fine with fishing/eating fish, and raising our own to eat...

:blink::whistle:;)

I also have a large aquaponics system that I didn't mention before. Right now it has bluegill in it, and they will be dinner later this year. The big difference for me between these bluegill and my aquariums is the reason I didn't mention it..... The bluegill are "livestock" not my pets.
. If you want help or advice, I would love to share that info by PM or email.

So I was talking to my wife last night and she was kinda harsh on me. I enjoy catching and eating fish in the local river and lake. I am also an avid aquariumist, with 2 tanks and many fish. My wife was saying that I am being contradictory, catching and eating fish and also keeping fish as pets. I personally see this as no problem as I have come to grips with my inner carnivore, and can see an animal as both a pet and as a food source. Mind you I would never eat my fish from my tanks, that does not change the fact that I enjoy eating fish. I am curious how many other people have a problem with this, or if anyone else has similar/ different struggles from me. I look forward to reading all your replies...
-Pete

Such an Interesting and timely post! My husband takes our daughter fishing a lot and they eat the fish he catches. I was thinking about this last night as I watched our aquariums as he was grilling the fish he caught. As my husband puts it there is nothing like fresh fish. I think I have reconciled my feelings on this. If you're not a vegetarian or vegan, is this really any different than eating meat at all? I don't think so.
And to actually be able to grow your own produce and livestock, as others are saying they do or want to do, is probably much better on many levels than being a consumer of such food. When you grow/raise your food, you know where it comes from, what is or is not in it, and also you know how it was grown/raised. Were the conditions unethical or ethical. I think that's a pretty empowering thing in this day and age, frankly.

I think humans have probably been making pets out of food source animals since the dawn of time. I have a chihuahua, so they are the best example that comes to mind. The ancient Aztec and Toltec people revered them as creatures who would help them reach the afterlife, kept them as pets, and also raised them as food.

So yes, I have pet fish, I like to catch fish, and I like to eat fish... I feel no guilt or confusion about it. It's mildly funny in an ironic sort of way, lol. I'm not going to eat any chihuahuas though!!

I also have a large aquaponics system that I didn't mention before. Right now it has bluegill in it, and they will be dinner later this year. The big difference for me between these bluegill and my aquariums is the reason I didn't mention it..... The bluegill are "livestock" not my pets.
. If you want help or advice, I would love to share that info by PM or email.

Exactly, the key is being able to distinguish between exactly that - pets vs livestock or Pets vs food.

If we get more serious about the aquaponics, I will be sure to send you some questions. Thanks!

I'm not going to eat any chihuahuas though!!

I absolutely love my little dog and would never seek out dog to eat, but if I was in a foreign country or something and was served dog....my curiosity might overcome my aversion. Maybe. I was raised on a farm and am a full-blooded carnivore tho....:blink:

I caught my first and only fish when I was 7 years old. I was so traumatized by the suffering I caused that I never went fishing again!
I enjoy knowing that I give all my pets, fish included, a good quality of life. I spend the same $$ on medicine for a sick $1 fish as for a $50 fish, because their suffering is the same, and my responsibility is the same.
I acknowledge that I too am a hypocrite- I'm learning more and more about what a cruel industry this is, and yet I continue to support it by buying fish. I also have to acknowledge that nature itself is incredibly cruel, so my dilemma is really one that I have created for myself. I try not to think about it. Thanks, OP for making me think about it! Lol 8-p

I caught my first and only fish when I was 7 years old. I was so traumatized by the suffering I caused that I never went fishing again!
I enjoy knowing that I give all my pets, fish included, a good quality of life. I spend the same $$ on medicine for a sick $1 fish as for a $50 fish, because their suffering is the same, and my responsibility is the same.
I acknowledge that I too am a hypocrite- I'm learning more and more about what a cruel industry this is, and yet I continue to support it by buying fish. I also have to acknowledge that nature itself is incredibly cruel, so my dilemma is really one that I have created for myself. I try not to think about it. Thanks, OP for making me think about it! Lol 8-p

I completly agree that the price does not matter when it comes to caring for our aquarium fish. The medicine is needed and the care should be the same.

Back
Top Bottom