Fish Choices for a 25 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure which fish to get after i'm done cycling the tank. I currently have a couple serpae tetra's in there right now. One fish I know are male guppies, probably a small-medium size school (will they be fine with only males? I dont want any population explosions). So I'm lookin for fish compatible with them. TIA :wink:

Endgame319...

Your possibilities are almost endless. One thing you need to consider is that Serpae Tetras, Hyphessobrycon callistus, have kind of a Jeckyll and Hyde reputation. They can be perfectly peaceful community fish but are also known as fin-nippers, especially with long-finned fish like fancy guppies. A big school of Serpae Tets, on the other hand, would look incredible in a planted (live or fake) tank with other fish that can take care of themselves like other mid-sized Tetras. The Bleeding Heart Tetra, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, comes to mind. Both of them (Serpaes and Bleeding Hearts) like to be kept in schools of 8 or more.

Toss in a few durable bottom-dwellers like Corydoras or one of the smaller Plecostomus-type cats and you could have an absolutely gorgeous tank!

Endgame, the trick is to pick a mix of top, middle and bottom dwellers that are all compatible. Corydoras (Cories) are perfect bottom dwellers, in at least pairs, but 3 or more is preferabele. Make sure you have algae control....one of the small plecos, or a few otos might work. Then pick one fish or group of fish you most want to have in your tank and work the compatability of the rest of the fish around that fish/group.

Back
Top Bottom