Fish Compatibitly Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I was thinking maybe in a 29gal FW Tank

Krib
Yo-Yo Loach
Black and Red phantom tetras
Dwarf Bushy Nose Pleco
Shrimp

What are some Cichlids that will go together in a community tank with those mentioned fish? Cichlids only suggestions please.

TIA

Dan :)

Kribs are Cichlids and I really wouldn't recommend mixing cichlid species (even peaceful ones) in that small of a tank.
Yoyo's need groups of 3 as well. Do yourself a favor and get 3 of these guys instead of trying to keep just one in the tank, you won't regret it. These fish are absolute joys and extremely entertaining.
Once you get a pair of Kribs, 3 yoyo's, a good number of tetras, the pleco, and shrimp in that tank I think you'll be at about the limit for that tank.

Also, I've never tried putting shrimp in with cichlids and my first inclination is that it might not be the best idea, regardless of whether it is a peaceful cichlid or not. You might try and get more advice about that. I might be wrong and it's only a general gut reaction with no facts or experience to back it up but that's my two cents.

Thanks!

:)

I wil probably just go with some yo-yo and a pair of kribs might get some shellies though.

Do you mean Shell-dwellers by shellies? If so, i wouldn't put them in with these other fish. The kribs could be okey with them, but only as long as the shellies are not breeding.
But since they actually breed very easily, i wouldn't keep them a community tank, they will harras and kill most of your other fish. Even though they are small.

HTH

I definitely wouldn't add any other cichlids to your krib tank. During spawning you could have some serious fighting/deaths.

I personally would do just a pair of kribs, 1 bristlenose pleco and your tetras.

I meant jst like 1 shellie i know not too get a brreding pair. and yes i meant shell dwellers and when they rae not spawning then they are pretty nice...

Dan

I'm going to disagree with the thread on this one. I think you can have a peaceful 29 gallon community Cichlid tank. You will want to be prepared to upgrade your tank size long term, as the fish outgrow your tank, but you can easily have a couple years enjoyment.

Try keeping Kribensis, Blue & Green Acara, Green & Gold Severums, Firemouth (1), Venustus (this is a peaceful African species), Blood Red Parrots, & Jurapari.

The big trick to keeping these fish will be having a nice school of "dither" fish. I would keep at least 5 to 7 Giant Danios in this tank. Your Cichlids will naturally take out their aggressiveness & territorial tendencies chasing these Danios, which are to fast to actually incurr much damage from the Cichlids. I should mention that most of these fish listed will grow large & need a bigger aquarium eventually. If you buy them small you should get a couple of years of fun. Also, I was hesitant to mention the Firemouth or Venustus, becuase sometimes they will be a bit more aggressive than you bargained for!

Hmmmm i have heard too many reports of the dominant cichlid say The firemouth killing everybody off in the tank.sry i will go with the majority on this one.

Cichlids tank with a lot of good size cihlids need to be at least 55gal.

I think you can have a peaceful 29 gallon community Cichlid tank.
Having done that and the upgrade, I do not recommend it to anyone. We lost way too many fish along the way. There's simply not enough room in a 29 gal to have hiding spots and all those fish.
Krib
Yo-Yo Loach
Black and Red phantom tetras
Dwarf Bushy Nose Pleco
Shrimp
The krib will eat the shrimp. Since I know you want shellies, go with the smallest, the multies--they are lightly colored and have gorgeous blue around the eye. You could get a pair and give them their own corner of the tank with shells and rocks.

MarkLehr said:
Try keeping Kribensis, Blue & Green Acara, Green & Gold Severums, Firemouth (1), Venustus (this is a peaceful African species), Blood Red Parrots, & Jurapari

That's a good way to end up needing about three 55 gallon tanks. Not advisable. And there is no way those fish will last 2 years in a 29 gallon together. It won't happen. At the very least, even if they don't kill each other their waste production and size will overload that tank.

So Dan, what are you going to keep?

Okay After lengthy thinking

1 Krib
1 BristleNose Pleco
6 Red and Black Phantom Tetras
2 Shell Dwellers
3 Yo-Yo Loaches

You decided not to get the pair of Kribs? If you have a female, male pair of shell dwellers and they end up spawning, they could create just as much trouble for you, even though their small.

1 Krib
1 BristleNose Pleco
6 Red and Black Phantom Tetras
2 Shell Dwellers
3 Yo-Yo Loaches
This is it, as I was part of the "lengthy thinking." Since this will be a 29 gal tank with the smallest of shell dwellers and the appropriate decor, this set up can work out just fine. I would not recommend this for a smaller tank.

I still personally think that with a 29 gallon tank, which is higher then long you will run into some territorial problems.

Pretty much all your fish occupy the same swimming area and IMO, your Krib, regardless of male or female will at some point hurt your fish.

My motto is, "better safe then sorry." But that's just me.

Loaches and pleco will inhabit bottom, tetras top, shellies middle krib middle/top.

I dont see a major probelm as kribs are an excellent community fish. and non aggressive.

shellies middle krib middle/top
Shellies will definitely be on the bottom near the sand and the shells. My kribs are bottom/mid dwellers. The decor of this tank will be key to keeping them all happy.

I dont see a major probelm as kribs are an excellent community fish. and non aggressive

Not entirely true. I've seen some very nice and docile Kribensis and then I've seen some very aggressive Kribs. They are all different and all I'm saying is that I've seen more aggressive kribs then non aggressive.

Why take the chance? That's just my personal opinion.

Well i repsect your opinion but i know it is hit or fish on fish, fish dont read books about how they are supposed to act. Their are exceptions to every rule. The mjority of all kribs are good compaitble vcommuntiy fish, if i get an aggressive on i will put it in the 10 alone and buy another 1, porblem solved!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom