Fish die within a day of topping off water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flOve58752O

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HEllo All.

When topping off tank. A couple of fish will perish within a day of this. :banghead: I usually top off every two weeks and change filters. I use stress coat from API. Is there something I am doing wrong while attempting this? I really do not let the water sit in the bucket too long, maybe an hour, then I add to tank and then introduce stress coat.

Thanks for any help.

Don't top off. Topping off a tank does nothing to remove the build up of nitrates, pH imbalance or kH/gH. You only end up concentrating the issues. Perform a 25% minimum water change instead.

You also shouldn't be "changing" your filters. If you are using sponge filters, just squeeze them a few times in some of the old water you've taken out from the change, then put them back. Changing them removes all the beneficial bacteria that has grown on them.

If you are using HOB filters, just rinse them in old tank water and put them back in until they pretty much fall apart.

Now, for the water you're putting in. If you're not dechlorinating properly, this will cause problems. Only add the amount for the water you're adding in, not for the entirety of the tank. If you add 5 gallons, dose for 5 gallons.

Also make sure that the temperature of the new water is as close as possible to the existing tank water.

You are likely shocking your fish with too many changes all at once and an unbalanced tank in general.

What fish do you keep and tank size, btw?

You're making a lot of very common mistakes, so don't feel too bad. There is a lot of misinformation out there and almost all of us make mistakes early on. Try these changes and let us know how it works out for you!

I have 29 Gallon tank with 2 Bala sharks, 1 white Gourami, 1 marble gourami, 1 albino Ciclid, 1 mickey mouse platy, 2 silver gourami and 2 red ones. I can't think of the name right at the moment.I have a HOB and only a corner plastic box filter. No. sponge. So maybe I am also changing the HOB filter too much?

I have 29 Gallon tank with 2 Bala sharks, 1 white Gourami, 1 marble gourami, 1 albino Ciclid, 1 mickey mouse platy, 2 silver gourami and 2 red ones. I can't think of the name right at the moment.I have a HOB and only a corner plastic box filter. No. sponge. So maybe I am also changing the HOB filter too much?

Are you using any water conditioner like seachem prime?

It would be a good idea to get an API master test kit and test your water. This may give you/us more information.

I swear by the API master kits. They tell you invaluable information. You can snag one at Petco/Petsmart for roughly $35. Or on Amazon for about 28. They are good for hundreds of tests.

As far as the filter, you don't need to change filter media often. Whether it's ceramic, sponge, charcoal, sand, or ready-bought HOB floss pads. You should pretty much keep the same filter media until it falls apart. Rinse as needed in tank water. If you need to replace it, I suggest adding in half new while keeping half the old. This allows the bacteria to colonize the new media before throwing the rest away. You can even put a new corner filter in the tank with the old one and let the new one season before removing the old one.

Regardless, I do think everyone can benefit from a sponge on their intake, unless someone has a fancy sump setup.

Beneficial bacteria are what "cycle" your tank. They live on the decor, substrate and, in large numbers, on your filter media. Some consume ammonia (nitrosomanas) that is created by fish and food waste and produce nitrites as a byproduct. Others consume nitrites (nitrobacter) and create nitrates as a byproduct. Both ammonia and nitrites are harmful to fish. Nitrates are only harmful in massive numbers. Water changes are what remove these nitrates at the end of the cycle.

It takes time to develop enough bacteria to complete the cycle. If you remove too much of the bacteria for the remaining amount to keep up with the waste produced in the tank, ammonia spikes and can cause burns, susceptibility to disease and even death.

There's also the fact that some hardier fish can actually get used to an imbalanced tank. They adapt to dirty, hard, soft, acidic, alkaline, or otherwise unhealthy water. Then, when fresh water is added, it shifts the parameters very quickly and the fish die from the shock.

Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on an API kit and we can try to figure out what's off in your tank!

Api kits are good except nitrate, I would recommend nutrafin nitrate over api but it's not nitrate doing it, are you temperature matching the water you add? You can get away with just top Offs if you have the tank setup for it but I'm assuming you don't as you're using stress coat for a water conditioner which it is not, you need to get seachem prime for that, also how big of a evap are you getting and are you just pouring it in without trying to baffle the force it's going in at( just an idea as maybe the force is stressing them out to much) I use a sterilized kitchen strainer when adding my water to the tank so the water is dispersed, I don't think that's what's doing it tbh, I think it's a combination of things I would start by doing weekly water changes (30-35%), unless you have a very heavily planted tank that's walstad setup so you can get away with no water changes, get prime, make sure the water is temp matched to the tank and conditioned with prime, make sure you unplug the heater when doing anything with the water as it simply could be your heater is cooking them if the new water isn't matched to the aquarium (way cooler that the tank).

Long story short
30% water changes per week, temperature matched and conditioned new water with seachem prime, unplug all things when doing this and re-plug back in after.

Get a test kit.. api master Freshwater test kit and test your water and post results.

I'm guessing it was a mix between crashing the tank by removing the filter media, an overstocked tank with high ammonia levels and the new water being off on temp with fish already having issues.

Bigger water changes, better care on treating/matching temp on new water, get the tank cycled/stable (and don't touch the media) and re-evaluate your stock to avoid future issues (like those bala sharks, and find out what kind of cichlid and gouramis you really have).

Back
Top Bottom