Fish dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claretmaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can somebody please help. I have a 35 litre tank with a male fighter in. I have been told i can put other fish in as well. I recently put some fish in advised by the shop and they stayed on the bottom and died. I did a full clean and again let the tank settle and added 3 more and they were fine for 5 days then all rose to the surface gasping and eventually died. What can i do. The male fighter is still ok. What can i add and how ??

Do u have any filtration system on the tank and males are agressive toward other fish

35l is about 9g, how long has the tank been set? Have you tested your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates? What kind of fish & how many are you adding? Water change schedule & how much water changed?

You say they went to the surface gasping for air which is usually an indication there is not enough oxygen in the water. This wouldn't both the Betta is it breathes air through it's labynith organ. As asked above do you have filtration on this tand or at least an aerator? Another thing as mentioned above is Betta's tend to be aggressive so depending on the personality of your Betta other fish may or may not work. Betta's will often times especially go after other bright colored fish. Plus is your tank planted or does it have an type of decorations that other fish can take refuge in? IMO you would be best just leaving the Betta in there alone.

Yeah it has filtration. My little boy loves coloured fish so as you described that could be happening. I have a slightly smaller tank could i put my male in there and use this tank as a more of a little
Community aquarium. It also has plants. Im only aftet some nice coloured fish for
My boy to look at. It helps his Autism. Thanks

Claretmaz said:
Yeah it has filtration. My little boy loves coloured fish so as you described that could be happening. I have a slightly smaller tank could i put my male in there and use this tank as a more of a little
Community aquarium. It also has plants. Im only aftet some nice coloured fish for

How long has the tank been setup??

Chances are the betta chased the other fish and stressed them out. Having a betta in a community works better in larger tanks. I would put the betta in the smaller tank and get endlers for the 9 gallon, and some red cherry shrimp. Endlers are very colorful, stay small and if you have males and females, they will definitely have babies. This would be great for the child. I can tell you my children love my endler/shrimp tank. They check up on the babies every day.

When you say slightly smaller, how much smaller? I wouldn't put a Betta in anything smaller than a 5g (18.9 litres), just make sure its heated & filtered. Bettas don't need tank mates so he'll be perfectly fine alone or you could add Mystery snail.

I agree with the Endler's for him also. The shrimp would add even more interest to the tank for him.

shellieca said:
When you say slightly smaller, how much smaller? I wouldn't put a Betta in anything smaller than a 5g (18.9 litres), just make sure its heated & filtered. Bettas don't need tank mates so he'll be perfectly fine alone or you could add Mystery snail.

Yes, I forgot to ask how big that tank was. Good point shellie.

Back
Top Bottom