Fish Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crtc_01

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two weeks ago I started stocking my new 55gal. Currently there are 12neon tetras, 5emerald cory cats, 5 albino cory cats and 2 male dwarf gouramis. One of the DG is the aggressor and one hides a lot. Some days both will be out and fine but over the past couple of days the aggressor has not allowed the other one to eat with out charging him. So my questions is, which one would you get rid of? I like the aggressive one because he is out all day long but the shy fish is more colorful. If I get rid of the aggressive fish will the other one come out and be more active? I also plan to add 9 harlequin rasboras and one angel fish shortly? Thanks

In most cases where there are only 2 male of any species, one will become dominant and aggressive.

My advice, keep which ever one you enjoy the most for whatever reason, and possibly trade the other one for a nice female.

just think how would you like to have to hide all the time from a bully ?

Dwarf gourami are habitually aggressive towards each other. Once the aggressor is gone the other one will come out of hiding.

*shrug* mine was always an angel :)

I took the bully back and the 'bullyee' went on to try and head butt every remaining fish in to tank regardless of size. ?

My last dwarf gourami got dropsy and died last week. He lost weight to the point where I had resigned to losing him, then he began to put weight back on and I thought he may be ok but he was just filling up with fluid.

I hate dropsy, it's one of the most distressing ailments to observe in fish.

I do like 3 spot gouramis though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My son likes them, I am going to separate the aggressor out today and see how the other one reacts once the bully is gone. The fish store said to add a third one but if one is constantly hiding I would assume the other two would start fighting until one either dies or goes into hiding him self?

Back
Top Bottom