Fish donated to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Once again, I have been donated fish. Went out of town today, and a friend of a friend said he wanted to get rid of them, so, of course I couldn't say no. In a 30gal hex, he had: 9in common pleco, 5 inch diameter turtle, 4 buenos aries tertas, white cloud minnow, 2 black skirt tertas, and a 5 inch koi. The tank looked like it hadn't been cleaned / water changed in months. He said he hadn't fed them in 6 wks, but I think that's not true. They didn't look great, but they didn't look like they haven't been fed for that long.

Only the buenos aries made it to my planted tank. The minnow pleco, and koi went in the friend's 75gal with his oscar. Though, I haven't seen the minnow this morning.... the koi will end up in a 500 gal outside pond shortly.

Black skirts went into a school of already 3 in a 10 gal planted.

Turtle is currently housed with my yellow belly slider, in a 30 gal, but another friend of mine will be taking him today.

Cool.

Be cautious of those Buenos Aires Tetras. Some of those fish can really devour a plant. I'd keep an eye on them, and your look for bite marks on your leaves.

Devillishturtles is right on; take those BA tetras out of your planted tank right now! They are the sheep of the fish world. We have 6, and they have mowed down every single live plant that ever even looked at their tank. Even really hardy, usually untasty plants, like java fern, fell before the juggernaut that is the school of BA tetras.

That being said, way to go! I'm also amazed that you were able to find homes for all of the occupants. Did you get the tank, too?

Back
Top Bottom